ops reg gas in diesel :(

My husband was talking when he should have been thinking. He mistakenly put about 1 1/2 gal of reg gas in his diesel truck before he realized his mistake...then filled it up with diesel before bringing it home...What kind of problem do we have on our hands and what do we do to fix it? thanks Penny

Reply to
pjbuchanan

One and one-half gallons of gasoline in a full tank of diesel will do no long-term damage. As a precaution, I would get a bottle of diesel fuel additive, Powers, Stanadyne, etc. and add it to the tank. The additional lubricity from the additive will offset the detergency of the gasoline. Also, expect the engine to rattle a little more than normal til that tankful of fuel is run thru.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

I'm no expert, but if he *FILLED* the tank completely and there's only 1½ gal of regular gas mixed in with a full 26 gallon tank of diesel fuel then I wouldn't worry about it for a moment.

In some bitterly cold climates it was once common practice to mix a little regular gasoline with a tankful of diesel during the coldest months.

Reply to
RamMan

that little gas will not hurt it. i own an eighteen wheeler and we put regular gas in it so the fuel want freeze/jell, i know we hold a lot more but we put about two gallons in a 100 gallon tank. gas is a lot cheaper than anti jelling stuff that they sell.

Reply to
paul1958