HELP! HELP! HELP! OH MY GOD, DIESEL GAS IN MY HIGHLANDER!!

Guys, a STUPID newbie question here.... My mom has accidentally put in DIESEL gas in my highlander. (I KNOW IT’S NONSENSE!!)
then she drove about 25 miles on freeway before it didnt accelerate
anymore. we dropped it at a toyota service department at the dealer. they are saying they need to flush fuel lines and replace plugs.... (also saying the diesel may have damaged the sensors)...
I just need to know what exactly should be done to my car. So I won’t get ripped off. My friend was saying they could just flush the fuel lines.
Please advise....I’m in a deperate need of answers.... Thank you in advance.
βœ–

At the least, you will need to pump the bad fuel out of the fuel tank and flush the fuel lines. The mixed gas-diesel will be considered hazardous material so be prepared to pay a fee to dispose of it.
You will need to replace the fuel filter.
Spark plugs and sensors may or may not need replacement. Start with the flush and fuel filter and see what happens. If it doesn't start, replace the plugs and if you get a check engine light, replace sensors as indicated.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

Well at least she didn't put gas in a diesel.
Let them flush the shit out and maybe you'll be ok. Keep your fingers crossed.

βœ–

And don't *ever* let that broad use your car again - GEEZE
Natalie
Add pictures here
βœ–

Diesel fuel nozzels are larger than Unleaded gasoline nozzels so she could not have fully inserted the nozzle into the filler restrictor. You can have nearly 50% diesel/gasoline before the engine has a hard time running. So your Highlander must have been pretty low on fuel when she misfueled the vehicle.
O2 sensors are the only items that may become fouled. You're ECM will light the Check Engine light if this is the case. All you need do is drain the fuel tank. NO need to replace filters or all that other BS. Spark plugs ... maybe.
Add pictures here
βœ–

We had this discussion before. As far as I can tell there is no rule/law/regulation that requires this to be true (at least in the US in general). After we first argued about this, I started paying attention to diesel nozzles. As you say, MOST are larger, but at three different stations I found nozzles that were the same as unleaded fuel nozzles. And I personally know a person who filled their S10 Blazer with diesel because the station had a small nozzle.
And interestingly, I watched a lady yesterday try to jam one of the larger diesel nozzles in the fuel filler on Her Ford Freestyle. At first it did not occur to me what she was trying to do. However, after her third try at forcing the nozzle in the tank, I gently asked her if she had the right nozzle. This was one of the pumps that has two nozzles, one for gasoline (all grades) and one for diesel. She had selected the wrong one. After my prompting, she realized her mistake and thanked me.

light
I'd be surprised if the diesel fuel hurt anything. Personally I'd just empty the tank, flush the lines, and replace the fuel filter. I'll bet it would run just fine. I believe replacing the fuel filter is probably a good idea just to make sure you get all the diesel fuel out of it and because I'd worry that the flushing procedure might have damaged it. Besides, it is cheap. I can't see how the spark plugs would be damaged - fouled maybe, but they'll be dry by the time you get the other work done. Running the vehicle for a few miles should burn any diesel deposits off the O2 sensors.
Ed
Add pictures here
βœ–

As our previous exchange revealed, my references are based on what is done in my home state of California. We ARE the leaders in this country where vehicle emissions regulations are concerned.

snip
I was refueling the diesel Datsun recently. A black man approached me and asked if I would pay him a dollar for washing my windows and finish refueling my truck. I declined. Then he noticed I was MISFUELING the Datsun with diesel. He got very animated!! I started laughing and showed him the diesel sticker inside the fuel door. He'd never ever of such a thing in an old Datsun. He walked away in disbelief. This has happened before. What a hoot each time.
--

- Philip

Add pictures here
βœ–

Next time that happens just say, "Yeah, but just LOOK at how much cheaper it is"...keep making excuses like, "Wadda ya mean 'it won't work'...how can the engine tell?, it's dark inside there"...give him a big story to tell his buddies. You might tell him that you gas up here every Monday...pretty soon he'll have a big crowd of buddies there to watch...till one of them'll twig!...then you better RUN...
--
-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Diesel is MORE expensive than Premium gasoline, Gord.
--

- Philip

Add pictures here
βœ–

What makes diesel different from #1 kerosene? Just curious because I use kerosene in a small heater in my garage shop. I just bought 10 gal the other day at $3.09/U.S. gal and the next day I see it was at $3.19. My heater manual specifically says to use #1 kerosene.

βœ–

You are not paying road use tax on your #1 Kerosene for your heater (or #2 heating oil for your home). I think the total of state and Federal road use ("gas") taxes in NC is around $0.339 (or maybe higher). Add that back in and then figure the price. I buy diesel in 1500 gallon lots for farm use. In 2003 in was $0.85 per gallon. Late last spring it was around $1.30. I'd hate to ask now. Road use tax is not charged on my farm use diesel but the fuel is dyed red and you don't want to get caught with it in your road truck's fuel tank (and yes the DOT guys will check diesel farm pick-ups).
Ed
Add pictures here
βœ–

In this goofy left winger state they charge sales tax on kerosene IF you use it to heat your home. A person has to remember to tell them at the station that it's not for heating my home and you'll avoid paying the sales tax, LOL.

βœ–
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:06:10 +0000, "Dbu'' wrote:

Which Left-Winger state are you in? CA?
Add pictures here
βœ–

HHH's home state.

βœ–
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:26:17 +0000, "Dbu'' wrote:

Uh huh...one state removed from a Cheesehead!
Add pictures here
βœ–
snip

I realize that this post is several days old but I didn't have good hard facts at hand to answer it so I held off till today.
At least here on PEI in Eastern Canada, diesel fuel is about 10 cents per litre cheaper than high test gasoline. That's (of course) about 40 cents a gallon cheaper, and while not much cheaper, it IS cheaper. I asked my Brother-in-Law this question.
He owns a back-hoe and a tractor-trailer to move it around plus a half ton GMC truck all of which have diesel engines. He also owns a Honda car so I suspect that he knows whereof he speaks.
So there you go, I didn't want you labouring under a misapprehension there Philip...
--
-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

There are several "excuses" given for the price of road diesel here in CA. I refueld the little truck tonigh with diesel. This was a cut rate station. Diesel $3.25, Premium $2.99, Unleaded+ $2.89, Unleaded $2.79. Now Off Road diesel is about $2.65 (all prices are US gallons, and US dollars).
--

- Philip

Add pictures here
βœ–

Yep, ok.
I guess we'll just have to scratch our heads and say WTF then...
There sure doesn't seem much sense in POL prices nowadays does there?
--
-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

βœ–
I'm familiar. You CANNOT just pour used deep fryer oil into your diesel tank and drive away. To do so requires onboard heating and several stage filtration ... not to mention that the fryer oil you get cannot have had any animal or fish fried in it. Vegetables only.
I'd like to see the particular article or at least a clue what paper or news source you read regarding road fuel taxes.
--

- Philip

"Mike Hunter" < snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com> wrote in message
βœ–