OT Home A/C

There was a thread around a bit ago that had to do with home A/C

What was the outcome? Who makes the best and most energy efficient? Trying to be of the game when this unit fails.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

It was Trane or Carrier.

Reply to
azwiley1

Thanks pal.

Reply to
Roy

Actually you go by SEER rating if it is a Heat pump or efficency rating if it is only a central moreso than brand. A SEER or 14 or more is kinda state of the art for a heat pump and a rating of 12 or more on a central is good too. You want a very large condesor for size of units cooling capacity because the bigger the condensor, the more it cools R22 and the less energy it uses for cooling delivered. Horse shoe or circular shaped condensors tend to be the best here.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

12 or better? The feds require all units manufactured after January 1st, 2006 to be 13 SEER or better. SEER relates to AC units, heat pumps go by the EER , not SEER. 15 seconds on Google and you would have had correct information.

As for which one is best? The one installed correctly, period! Brand means nothing. We install Ruud/Rheem units where I work and we rarely have any problem with them. The wholesaler we buy them from asked why we have such good luck, when the other Ruud dealer in town is always changing out compressors. Only reason we could come with is we evacuate the line sets on our installs down to 400-500 microns, always! If you don't, you leave in non-condensables, and moisture that ruins to oil, and fries the compressor. Cheap junk installed properly will run longer than a Trane or Carrier, or even Ruud/Rheem that got installed improperly by some hack. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Greg, take a deep breath and relax. This is yet just another perfect example as to why no one listens to a damn thing Snoball says. There are enough HVAC experts in here that will see this thread and reply, inturn making him look like the retard that he is.

As to your comments, I agree though I am not one of those said experts, that as long as it is installed properly, and properly sized for your house, you should have little to no problems with it, regardless of who makes it.

Reply to
azwiley1

azwiley1 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x40g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

My buddy, who has his own AC/Heating company, has told me that many of the different brands have the same components inside. He's also said the same thing I've already heard here - that the installation is more important than the make of the unit.

Reply to
Joe

I put a K$N cold air intake on my unit and it generates electricity while it cools the house!

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

YOu have it backwards Heat pumps do go by SEER or Seasonal Energy Eficency Rating (and it is seasonal because heat pump can heat and cool) and plain central A/C's go by EER.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

And this is another example of why you are a troll because you do not know what a SEER is either.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Really, I am a troll? HA!! If I am a troll, WTF does that make you? I don't know what a SEER is? Please oh mister expert of all things before never, tell me where you came up with that brilliant decuction when I never once mentioned it? I admitted about three posts ago that I am not a HVAC expert, but I know many in here and out of here that are. See unlike you, I do not constantly post about things I know nothing about, HVAC systems would be a GREAT example of such.

Reply to
azwiley1

On Aug 25, 11:

Roy

6 years ago we had a Trane heat pump installed. 19 SEER. Twice a year maintenance from the installing contractor. No problems at all. Electric bill is $110.00 a month year round. 10 cents per kilowatt. Thermostat is set at 78 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter. House is more than well insulated. We don't have gas so everything is electric. 3 years from now, when the 10 years parts and labor and everything is up, I will renew the service contract again for 10 years.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

It is funny because you popped in and started spouting off terminology, like you knew what you were talking about, and got it wrong!

Then you try to pick on Wiley 'cuz he does not know what the terms mean??? He never said he did! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Do what you want, but usually those service contracts are a rip off. You might be better just paying the HVAC company to stop by twice a year for service and pay what ever his rates are. It really depends on how the contract is written, and what is, or is not included. If the contract was written by the local company it is probably ok. If it is through some national warranty company, my bet is you are paying too much. I while back I had a customer ask me if they should renew their contract. They had spent $360 a year for ten years and got two quickie services a year out of the deal. If they had paid for the service calls they would have saved well over $2000 over the ten years. Then when the unit did die, the warranty company would not pay to get the equipment replaced with a comparable unit. they had one of Trane's best systems, and the company would only supply the cheapest equipment they could find! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

What ever! Google it and find out for yourself! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Hell, while we are on the whole home AC thing again, has anyone had their crawl space/attic sprayed with that spray foam insulation? What were your results, costs ect.. I am thinking about having this done in my "attic" and on to the flex duct for the ac/heat unit.

Reply to
azwiley1

Much funnier that it's your job ("We install Ruud/Rheem units where I work") and you got it wrong.

"SEER relates to AC units, heat pumps go by the EER , not SEER." - Greg O.

Seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER): "... This is a measure of the cooling performance for rating central air conditioners and central heat pumps." -

Beryl

You better call Trane and tell them they're wrong, as they're rating their "plain central A/C's" by SEER:

Tom Lawrence

We sure like our Trane mini-splits...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

My heat pump clearly has a SEER rating so one of you is wrong!

Reply to
miles