Update on 2002 2500 Ram power loss.

This is an update on my 2500 diesel problem for those interested. Since I have the extended warranty, the Dealer ordered the recommend replacement for the uplift pump, one which got installed in the fuel tank. The next day, I drove the truck to work. The loss of power problem continues. I had to down shift from 6 to 5th gear on some of the hills when the engine began to lug. This is while moving at 50+ mph. The truck is going back to the dealer for more trouble shooting. The truck which I bought new has about

66,000 miles and all service have been performed by the dealer. The fuel filter was replaced during a previous service. Yes, I'm getting desperate.

John

Reply to
John A Reichert

I wish you the best and hopefully they will figure it out for you soon.

Reply to
azwiley1

I'd be concerned about possible damage to the injection pump due to the lack of fuel pressure from the bad lift pump. Ask them to test the injection pump for proper operation.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have a 2001 with it seems the same setup.

I had gauges installed and the fuel pressure would go as low as 1 psi (should be 5) without load or towing anything. I replaced the lift pump myself (probably nearly the last one they sold as they now do the in tank pump, which I understand Cummims recommeded to start with).

I have heard that the lift pump failure can take out the main injection pump, as well as the rear two cylinders from being starved of fuel.

I love this truck! This is our first ever pickup and, even at 11,000 feet, it does have power!

Good luck!

Charles

John A Reichert wrote:

Reply to
Charles

Guys, Thanks for all the suggestions. It was the suggestions that sent me back to the dealer in the first place, armed with some basic understanding on what to demand and ask at the service counter. I love this truck too, and anyone who has driven one is aware of the incredible torque these trucks have. Without a load, they really will attack a hill unlike any car I driven. I plan to post the final outcome. Again, thanks

John

Reply to
John A Reichert