Oxygen Sensor

I just replaced the oxygen sensor in my '95 dodge dakota after 153500 klms. The engine was running a little rough but ok. My gas mileage was very low. Since replacing the sensor the engine seems to be running smoother but now when I try to start it all I get for the first few times is just a click and then it starts.

Does anyone know what my problem might be? Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Bert

Reply to
BorB

Thats your Starter going out ... has nothing to do with your O2 Sensor ..

BTW check out

For more info

Reply to
Nathan

Neat site, but not easily searchable. I was wondering, is there a thread discussing starter failure modes? It happens that I've noticed getting just a "click" occasionally when I start the engine. In my case, since I've been working on the engine quite a bit, I assumed it was because I left the negative cable a little loose on the battery; so I'd push on the post a little and the truck would start. If that is a common failure mode with Dodge starters, it might just be a coincidence that I've gotten it running!

I'm all for reliability: what are definitive indications that the starter is about to fail? (Mine is a '97 Ram Van 2500, little V6.)

Reply to
Just Another

it can be one of two things ... What I thought it was at first was the starter solenoid.. What happens is that it gets a dead spot on it and it takes a few times for it to engage..

Now if there is not enough voltage going to the starter it will click too until contact at the battery terminal improves or voltage jumps ...

Now since its the battery connection being loose I would not count that as being a "failure" but rather an over look of assemble ..

I own two 98 Rams ..

1) has a stock 318 (5.2)with 198,000 miles on it and still trust it to drive it across the country at any time ! ( starter went out at 186,000miles )

2) Had a 318 ( 5.2) with a wild cam in it until 175,000 miles.. then it was replaced with a 408 cubic in. stroked motor with custom cam, eddelbrock aluminum heads, custom B&G computer and lots of other goodies.. ( and its my daily driver )

Reply to
Nathan