PING --> tom

any idea if the 48re torque converter would work in a 47re? i got my juice with attitude today and im looking forward to installing it, but dont want to kill my tranny. also what valve body would you recommend for my tranny? thanks,

Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

oh..I forgot to answer the one about the valve box.

Probably DTT since they have been doing transmissions a long time.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Most likely - I believe they're the same size. But, in stock form, it's going to feel like mush (ie. stock). The most noticeable change in increased driveability comes from an aftermarket TC.

The stock TCs also won't stand up to the increased power. The LU clutch is relatively weak, the stamped-steel cover won't hold up (it will warp), and the looseness of the TC will lend itself to heat build-up.

Any of the big tranny guys: DTT, ATS, Suncoast. Match the TC and VB from the same guys. Yes, it's expensive - but the results are so much more worth it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

the edge with juice is the most fun ive had since hitting puberty. ;-)

that said, i CAN feel that the torque converter isnt giving me everything the juice is. would you recommend just the TC and VB or is there any advantage to buying a complete tranny from DTT? thanks, Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

I used a DTT tc and transmission in a plow truck a couple of years ago. It was like night and day compared to factory. Give them a call and tell them what you want, and I'm sure they will be of help.

Oh, the temp sensor should be on the line or port coming out of the transmission, not the return to the pan.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

The advantage of the complete transmission is never having to worry that you might be tearing it up :)

It depends on what you're going to do with the truck. If you're going to behave yourself with the Juice settings (what am I thinking? I _KNOW_ who I'm talking to here!), then just a TC/VB upgrade will be fine.

But, if you're going to run it on level 5 all the time, smoking cars off the line, and driving it like it's a race car, then you're going to want a better-built transmission underneath you.

My transmission would have been dead a long time ago had I tried to use the stock unit. I knew what I wanted my truck to do, so I sucked it up and bought a whole transmission. It's still the best investment I've ever made truck-wise. When the dyno guy called out 602HP, I couldn't stop grinning the rest of the day. Heck, I still can't :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

thanks. while i dont plan to race it (due to weight it will haul around...bed empy is 1000# and then figure another at least 1500# in tools and supplies) i do enjoy putting it in 5 just before passing someone on the interstate.

...can i expect even more smoke after i install the banks monster exhaust without cat?

...what truck, and what mods?

Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

Maybe a little... flow will certainly be better.

'03 - TST/Edge stack, twin turbos, F1 injectors, ARP studs, FASS

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Forgot the mod we were talking about... ATS Stage V transmission

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

if the single stock turbo already produces more boost than is needed (otherwise a wastegate wouldnt be needed) what advantage is there to running twins?

where did you get your injectors?

....huh?

Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

My twin turbos make 60psi of boost. That's a little more than the stocker can make. It also makes 60 pounds of relatively COOL air, as opposed to the super-heated air flow that a stock turbo would make at anything approaching those boost levels.

It's not just about building boost - it's about doing it while keeping the temps down. Now, you can do that with a big single turbo. The problem is, it won't be able to get out of it's own way until it spools up. The advantage of a small turbo is that it spools up quickly, but can't push as much air, and can be over-spooled by the engine (hence the wastegate).

So, you combine the two in a compound setup. The small turbo spools quickly, giving you better throttle response and power off the line. As it's winding out, the bigger turbo is now spooled up, and "takes over".

You probably have a perfect example of this in your shop.... look at your air compressor. It's probably a two-stage unit. The first stage compresses to around 50-60psi or so - the second stage compresses up to 175psi.

Formula 1 Diesel -

Head studs. Need more clamping force to keep the head on the block when running high boost levels. Besides, they're a no-brainer to install when you're swapping out injectors.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

gotcha, thanks. i thought i was doing good with what i had added and now youre gonna have me spending even more. ;-)

Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier