Which Toyota Transmissions are Interchangeable?

Hi Everyone! I have a 1994 Toyota Celica GT its an Automatic. Recently, the transmission went out and I am trying to figure out if any other Toyota transmissions will fit my car. My Uncle is doing the repairs at home.

One guy said a Camry Tranny will fit and then a guy at the Junkyard said that only a Toyota Celica Transmission will fit my vehicle. Another person said that possibly at Toyota Avalon tranny would fit mine...The mounts are different though.

Im worried because I dont want to guy the wrong tranny and have it all the way installed and have it not work or be the wrong tranny.,....

Also....has anyone ever rebuilt a Toyota Transmission? My Uncle was also thinking of doing that but he's only done Fords....how hard of a task would this be if you bought the master rebuild kit from the auto parts and of course we'd get a new torque converter....

ANY help or insight on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you so much for any help!!!

Reply to
Misschaos60

I believe that the 1994 Celica GT has an A140E transmission, which was used in 1993-2001 4 cylinder Camrys and 1998-2001 4 cylinder Solaras.

6 cylinder Camrys and Avalons have different transmissions.

Rebuilds are not that easy without doing it in a very clean environment and having a pretty extensive assortment of special service tools. A transmission swap from another Celica GT is your best bet.

Reply to
Ray O