Polishing a t*rd

Yesterday, I took my 1992 Dodge Dakota's passenger side door apart to see if I could fix it so that my key would work the lock button again. Sure enough, I discovered that a rod coming out of the back of the key tumbler had become disconnected from a lever which operates the lock button and door lock. It had become disconnected because it was originally held on with a cheap, plastic keeper that was doomed from the start to fail at some point due to its inevitable material decomposition. I replaced it with a suitably sized and slightly modified metal throttle linkage keeper and now it will never come apart again. However, while I had the door apart, I noticed that there are other such plastic keepers used in other places, so this is probably going to be an ongoing problem over time with other connections.

Chrysler could just have easily have used a metal part. That they didn't shows me just how truthful that "Quality Engineered by Chrysler" label on the floor really is. I know, I know, I can hear the standard reply now, "It was done to save weight and contribute to improving mileage." Bullshit. The total amount of weight saved couldn't have been more than a couple hundred milligrams. It was done to contribute to planned obsolescence and for no other reason.

As the friend who traded this thing for my Husky dirtbike said when I told him I was repairing such problems, "John, you can only polish a turd so much."

He refuses to buy any more Dodge products and has moved over to being a Ford man. Don't know if that's any better but he hasn't complained about either his pickup or his new Focus.

It's doubtful that it will be possible to get the Dakota's emissions down to a level that will pass I&M without having to spend several hundred dollars or even over 1k to do so. That being the case, I would then be stuck with an immovable white elephant taking up space unless I were able to sell it to a junkyard.

I hope Dodge is building their rigs a lot better these days. If they're not, they're going to head the way of the dodo. Word spreads and they seemed to have totally forgotten this back in 1992. Maybe they've wised up since. I certainly hope so.

By the way, I read somewhere that you can reset the "Check Engine" light on these particular models (my '92 Dakota) by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery, then turning on the ignition key for 20 seconds. Has anybody else heard or done that?

TIA.

Reply to
John Corliss

Don't look now, but they use the same plastic clips on their door linkages, too...

Just disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will do it, but I suppose turning on the ignition circuits will bleed out the capacitors in the electronics quicker.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

That was what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

'Fraid not. I just cleaned and treated the battery terminals and cables the other day. In the process, the cables were both disconnected for about 45 minutes. When I reconnected them and started the truck, that damned light was still there.

I figger the same. Then the error codes (of which there are some at this point) should re-establish themselves once I drive the truck somewhere.

Reply to
John Corliss

Well, if the condition still exists that caused it to trip in the first place, then it's going to come back on. Pull the codes, and see what it's complaining about.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

John, We benefit greatly in the price we pay for inovations like these most wonderful plastic clips. They can't be that bad. The vehicle is a '92 and this is the first one to fail? I can remember rusty set screws in my Fords and Oldmobiles in the 50's. Don't look now, but everybody is using these things, not just Chrysler. Even the exotic and really expensive cars use plastics extensively today and today's cars ARE better than yesteryear's and guess what... ...the number one reason is improvements in material technology. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Only lasted 16 years? I'd be pissed..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Because the problem was detected again on the restart?

Reply to
PeterD

the dash in my 91 dakota is starting to crack.

recently i had to replace one of the plastic retainers on a windshield wiper mechanism. i think i may just call mopar and give them a piece of my mind. if they had built these parts out of metal they would have been all rusty and i could be having to grind them off or drill them out before i replaced them.

maybe i'll just go buy a six ohh powerstroke ford instead. my dodge trucks are not breaking often enough to keep me busy. i did have to change the oil on the 97 ram today and decided to grease the front end while i was at it. the only plastic part i encountered in this adventure was the washer on the oil drain plug and it hasn't broken yet but i am waiting for it to so i can gripe about it. ;-) michael

Reply to
nunya

Move to NC....nothing older than 95 has to get an emissions inspection.

Reply to
curmudgeon

I messed up. It's not the Engine light on the left, it's the light that tells you to replace the Oxygen sensor, "Maintenance Needed" on the right.

There is only one Fault Code present at this time, and it's 12 (that the battery has been disconnected recently). I'll check the fault codes again after I drive the truck some more.

Reply to
John Corliss

Steve, you're right. The rig IS 18 years old! Guess I should be more tolerant. After all, Merle Haggard sang, "I wish a Ford and a Chevy, would still last 10 years... like they should."

That metal throttle linkage clip I used IS a better idea though. I don't expect it to fail any time soon.

Reply to
John Corliss

Ahs disbusted.

At any rate, I don't expect that metal clip I used to give up the ghost any time soon.

Reply to
John Corliss

  1. I was cranky and it was too early.
  2. The truck IS 16 years old.
  3. I was able to get the door apart very easily and do the repair.
  4. When my friend said, "John, you can only polish a turd so much" he was mainly referring to me beating out a dent on a vehicle with a very bad looking paint job.
  5. The paint is bad because my friend never EVER washed the truck in the whole time he owned it, TTBOMK. When you do that, and the truck sits out in the Oregon rain all the time, the paint is bound to go bad.

The truck starts and the motor runs well. Only real problem is that the motor races a little for some reason when I coast down the hill with my foot off the gas, or roll backwards, again in neutral and with my foot off the gas. I talked on the phone to a Lithia Dodge service tech today and he said that he's never heard of such a problem in over 20 years of working on Dodges. Said that I should clean my throttle body, but I see it as some kind of sensor related issue.

Reply to
John Corliss

You'll need a scan tool to turn that light off.

If the check engine light wasn't on before, why would you expect new fault codes?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That light's got absolutely nothing to do with the O2 sensors, nor any other part of the emissions system. It's triggered by time, and it just a dumb "reminder" to bring the vehicle in for service. It's pretty much useless.

If an O2 sensor were failing, that would indeed light up the "Check Engine" light. IIRC, those codes are somewhere in the twenties on the OBD-I systems.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Clean it anyway... can't hurt... will probably help. If the paint never got washed in 16 years, just think how cruddy the TB must be.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks for that. Sometimes the obvious eludes me. Bear in mind though, I'm a total newbie at this computerized vehicle stuff. Up to now, the newest rig I've owned is my '81 Ford F-150.

And you're right, the check engine light WASN'T on before.

Reply to
John Corliss

Thanks Tom. That's good info to know. And the OBD-I system is what the truck is running then. Too bad, because Harbor Freight has an OBD-II code reader on sale for $40 right now. But I expected that, since OBD-II dates from 1996 and on, I believe.

An OBD-I code reader is mighty spendy. And I'm not even sure there's a generic version of them, or is there? Might be that the '92 Dakota's ECM has a proprietary plug.

However, since there are no fault codes present at this time, I guess my concerns at this point are limited to figuring out why the motor races whenever the rig is rolling downhill (either direction) and I have my foot off of the accelerator. When I come to a complete stop, the motor races a second and then suddenly starts idling at a normal rate.

That and the weird way that my friend was dealing with the radiator and fan. I'm going to get some more info from him and see if I can figure that one out though.

Reply to
John Corliss

I've run some injector cleaner through it and my friend did so regularly. This helps, but of course taking the TB apart and cleaning it is probably a good idea.

And I *did* wash it, but the paint is so course in places that it shredded my cotton wash pad and left lint all over the rig. No biggie though, I found a can of acrylic enamel at the local NAPA. It matches the Colorado Red color almost exactly. Will be sanding the bad spots down, rattle can primering them and then touching them up with that can of red AE. If that doesn't work (and I'm very good at rattle can painting) then I'll get a spray gun, some paint and spray the truck myself.

Now THAT'S how to "polish a turd"!

Reply to
John Corliss

Eh... make that "coarse", not "course".