Violent shaking

Hi, I've recently started driving a 97' make of a Wrangler TJ on a 33" tires and a lift (rough country), and if I'm driving at around 55mph and hit a bump sometimes get shaking that starts small and then get's larger, and doesn't stop untill I've slowed down to 20mph or so.

I've been doing some research on the internet about this problem, and from what I've read in this newsgroup it sounds like it could be Death Wobble.. This shaking can get very violent, especially if you cannot stop right away. But... It feels like it's comming from the back of the car, but not the front. and the car is definatly not bouncing around, and I dont feel alot of the shaking in the steering wheel.

Does this sound like a DW description to you or something totally different ?

Reply to
reynir

L.W.(ßill)

Bill is correct in the underlying problem but don't just mask it with a quick fix, it will come back to haunt you later.

Typical is big tires, slightly out of balance, loose ball joints, tie rod ends or tracj bar fittings, and a bad alginment. Hit a bump, the tires start to precess (wobble) around a different point than the axle bearings. The loose parts don't let you get control back. Ugly at 60mph.

Br> You are describing the shimmy common to live axles tied together

Reply to
Roy Jenson

Bump Steer.

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Thanx guys, for your answers, I was guessing loose parts was the problem, I also talked with the previous owner of the car, and he told me that this was something he had experienced and was fixed by fastening some bolts in the suspension in the back, he did not go into specific details on it though...

-reynir

Reply to
reynir