Loose U joint

I have an 82 4x4, with a rear drive shaft from a later 80's truck. It has a mild lift. I replaced the first U joint after about 2 years after installing the shaft. It seems like I am replacing the joint every other year now. It is the one closed to the transfer case.

I installed a new Spicer unit, and it has developed axial play in about a week. The shaft is in great shape.The shaft was blanced when installed. It seems like the clips should be thicker to take up the extra play. Any ideas?

Reply to
JasonW

Are you certain the mating surfaces in the newer driveline are the same tolerances as the '82? Could the play actually be from wear in the yoke and not the u-joint? The u-bolts that hold the joint in will wear out over time as well as the mating area in the yoke especially if at some time they were allowed to run with some slop in them. I would also check the play in the slip yoke and stub. In my '85 4Runner they got worn enough in only about 125k that I wound up having them replaced. I went with a coarse spline Spicer replacement. Probably more than it needed, but this set up will likely never get loose enough to skip and I think it even uses a bigger/stronger Spicer u-joint. Been a while so I don't remember the specifics on it.

Reply to
MFINJA

No u-bolts on the Toyota u-joints, they are pressed into the housings and the bearing caps held in place with the aforementioned clips. You might try getting a joint from Toyota, they tend to fit better and last longer than the aftermarket parts in many cases. Also, check the driveshaft alignment, as you could be getting some vibration from mismatched flange angles, leading to the early failure of the joints:

Roger Brown

The slipe yoke is tight, yet smooth running. I can see the movement in the u joint. I was told the u joint is the same in most of these years. The flange was drilled for the larger bolts, which are on very tight. It just seems like the clip grooves in the bearing caps should be smaller or the clips thicker. It was tight when assembled, but I should have tapped the yoke with a hammer to stress relieve like the shop manual stated.

Reply to
JasonW

Duh...shows how long it's been since I've been under the Runner. I was thinking of my old Chevy. I need to remember to just keep my mouth shut since I'm basically always wrong ;>)

Reply to
MFINJA

Well, I noticed that the C-clips that came with Spicer U-joint are of two different thicknesses. One is about .051" and the other is about .061". I poped the ones on there now. Three were the .061" and one was .051". So I installed one that is .061". It seems tighter now. The joint comes with about 8 or 10 of these clips.

I will keep an eye on it. There seems to be a vary small vibtration somewhere. I need to overhual my tranny in a couple of weeks, so I will check that and the rear bearing on the transfer case, before I suspect the driveshaft balance or wheel/tires. I will post any new updates for those interested.

Jason

Reply to
JasonW