Re: Still Looking, more ????

The NEW Cummins Diesel is a lot quiter. Cummins redisigned their engines in mid year 2004. The new diesels have more power, better millage, and not as noisey as before. I get approx. 16.6 miles to a gal on my 2004 Ram 2500 Diesel, "Off-Road" 4 X 4 with a 4.10 rear end and 5 speed automatic. This was a ":special" order to get the new engine & 5 speed. My truck has a 1 ton rating!

I heard Dodge is coming out with a Daytona truck with a bigger Hemi than >the standard with about 425 HP. Maybe that would be better than the >Cummins? I myself don't like the noise from the diesel. Wife has a Hemi 04 >Durango. It's got lots of power!!! > > TB> >> >>> >>>>Gotta have some help here. If I buy a Cummins it is about 5K more than >> >> the >> >>>>hemi. Given the difference in fuel cost's and taking into consideration >>>>the mileage difference as well as maintenance costs I figure to be >> >> approx. >> >>>>125K miles to a brake even point. Does that sound right to you folks? >>>>I spent some time driving a 05 hemi powered 2500 4X4 last night, very >>>>impressive truck. A couple of you own them or just sold one, please jump >>>>in here, need all the pro's and cons. >>>> >>>>Also the same truck with a Cummins, very impressive truck as well. >>>> >>>>Guess it comes down to need vs. want. Will I be doing a lot of towing in >>>>the next couple of years? Probably not. Will I be plowing snow? It looks >>>>that way. Gotta find out how these hemi's plow snow, anybody have a >> >> blade >> >>>>on one? >>>> >>>>Roy >>> >>>Your "payback" miles sounds about right. I figgered mine to be about >> >> 100K. >> >>>Keep in mind that with the Cummins, you get about $2-$3K back for the >> >> diesel >> >>>when you get ready to sell it. >> >> >> >> Which if he follows his current path, would be in about 2 years :-) >> > > >
Reply to
Willis Harkness

Willis Harkness

Well, the "quiet" diesel came in 2003, with the introduction of the common rail injection system (among other things, but it's the pilot injection of the common rail that did the most to reduce the noise). The 2004.5 wasn't a re-design... it was a couple of changes (different turbo, addition of a cat converter, and some ECM updates) to make it 50-state emissions legal. And because of that, fuel economy went DOWN from the '03 and '04 engines.

Boy... somebody sure sold you a bag of $#!t... there is no, repeat, N O

5spd automatic available, now or in the past, behind a Cummins. The only 5spd auto that DC currently makes is the 545RFE, and that is exclusive to the 5.7L Hemi. It's not nearly strong enough to hold up to the 600ft.lbs. of torque (or 610 if you look at an '05 model) that the Cummins puts out. There have only been thw auto trannies offered for the Cummins since the introduction of the HPCR (high pressure common rail) engine - the 47RE behind the 235HP and 250HP engines, and the 48RE behind the 305HP and 325HP engines. Both are 4spd autos (which is why they start with a '4'). There WILL be a 5spd automatic available, but not for a couple of more years.

And as far as the ratings go, if you have a 2500, you have a GVWR of

8,800lbs. Depending on your truck's actual configuration, your payload capacity is somewhere around 1,900lbs. Now, while that's close to a ton, comparing your payload to an actual "1-ton" truck (a 3500 SRW, with a GVWR of 9,900lbs., and payload of around 3,000lbs., or a 3500DRW, GVWR of 12,000lbs. and a payload close to, or just over, 5,000lbs) is a bit misleading.
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

475 HP!!! What the hell are you smoking???
Reply to
Roy

425HP... the poor guy's confused (as if that wasn't obvious)
Reply to
Tom Lawrence