Rear End Leak

01 Ram 1500 Short Box 5.9 L 4x4 3.55 gears 50,000 miles. A couple weeks ago I noticed a leak coming from the rear end. At first I thought it was the gasket around the cover. After I wiped everything up I have notice that the rear end is starting to get leak again. Took about two weeks to reach this stage. It seems to be leaking slowly from the u-joint area into the rear end. About 3 years ago I changed out both u-joints on the drive shaft. The rear one started to make noise. I made sure to put greasable ones on. What would cause this leak, or what other measures should I take to know if this is a big deal? The fluid is checked every 3,000 miles at a local oil lube shop. Appreciate any help or advice.
Reply to
tiggy

Sounds like pinion seal is seeping a bit. No cause for alarm until it starts driping a lot and then it is time to change it.

SnoMan

How much of a job is it to change? I haven't noticed any fluid making it to the ground yet.

Reply to
tiggy

The hardest part is getting the pinion nut off as it can take some serious tools (I use a 3/4 inch impact gun). It is VERY important though that you scrib a mark on pinion stub and nut before you rem0ove it and tighten it back to same place to keep preload correct. Get it too tight and set preload to high and you can burn up pinion bearing and have a lot bigger problems.

SnoMan