Sealed bearings Dodge ram 2500 problems?

The truck is a 96 Ram 2500 4x4.

The bearing (they are sealed, right?) separated while removing the hub (while changing my rotors). Could this be a problem? I changed the rotors, repacked the wheel bearing, and put everything else back on. I hand tightened the hub into the torque range. I don't want the grease to wash out. Will the bearings be protected?

Reply to
newworldactor

Yes, and yes.

The bearing will fail. I once accidentally pulled a hub bearing apart on a friend's 1500. I pressed it back together, but in time (his actually made it about 18 months), the bearing chewed itself up.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I packed it with synth grease and re-tightened the hub to 149 ft lb of torque. I'm hoping that holds it together. 18 months isn't bad!

Why did it fail? Does the grease work its way out? Did water get into the bearing?

Thanks

Reply to
newworldactor