see ya all around

Reply to
mike doyle

After reading the link Denny posted, the two rounds are not interchangeable in all ar's. Further they say that use of .556 in a tight chambered 223 is unsafe.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

All I know is we fired .223 in '16's and one guy fired the 5.56 in his Remington, or so he said . . .he was the E-7 Sergeant in charge of the rifle ranges with a munitions MOS. I worked with him daily for a month and he is an honest person.

As far as I'm concerned, discussion over. You do what you want.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Denny,

See my reply to Roy. That's all I know for sure about them. I have NOT exchanged and fired them personally and I'm going on the comments of an expert I worked with.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Page 6 of the new Bushmaster '06 catalog explains THEIR stance on the 5.56n NATO round and the .223... Theirs are actually chambered for the 5.56 and the .223 can be used in theirs IF the barrel has the 5.56 designation on the barrel in front of the front sight. It also goes on to say, that if you own OTHER than Bushmaster rifles, chambered for the .223Rem, you dont use 5.56 ammo in them. SAAMI does call it unsafe.

Reply to
CAVHBC

I'm simple minded, I guess... We were issued .556 for the 16's and a .223 was a 22 magnum for close work with the ruger revolver... lol

I haven't had a use for either round for almost 40 years... *groan*

Mac

mac davis

now that's a pretty cold shot....

I might have invented dirt, but you had to grind up the rocks first... Mac

mac davis

That's my take on it as well.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

He may be honest, but it would seem he was lucky as well.

I hope so 'cause in this case your info could get a person hurt.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Older than dirt bro.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Gee, how many times have I been chewed out for saying that very thing . . .

"I hope so 'cause in this case your info could get a person hurt."

Ya know, Roy, I think an E-7 with some 21 years of service time in armament just might know what he's talking about. How much time did you say you have?

Budd

Roy wrote:

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Well, I would say the people that manufacture the ammo would know even more then your E-7, and they state that the two rounds ARE different, that a .223 can be fired in a 5.56mm barrel, but that firing a 5.56mm cartridge in a .223 barrel could result in "gun functioning issues", and declare it to be "an unsafe ammunition combination".

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Tom Lawrence

Well ya know Budd, I don't give a f*ck how long he was in. E-7 after 21 years, must have been a real pisser. In any event you or he were incorrect in your info right from when you jumped into this thread. Also the info that you offered up could have resulted in a injury or worse. That is nothing to play around with.

If it matters I had 4 1/2 years active by the time I was retired a E- 5.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Fine. Like I said, I give the info I have.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Fine. Whatever. I gave the best info I could, the best I had.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

And in all fairness, there are LOADS of people that think that the two rounds are universally interchangeable....really. And, there are SOME rounds, (these are not it) that when you go for a custom reload, you case fire them to get the case the way you want it...and im sure.....that the guy that fired the first wrong round to see how the case swelled wasnt going...GEE ...bet this works like a champ! either. :)

Reply to
CAVHBC

Good for you Budd.

I hate goodbyes.

Reply to
Rickshaw

Thank you.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Hey Denny,

I have a mental image of Dale chasing sheep around with a machine with a cattle guard with two prongs on the front, chasing the sheep at hock level!!! LOL!

Sorry it took so long to respond -- I've busy chasing after rabiits -- really. I am starting a meat colony, and am preparing to buy. Smoked rabbit is the best meat on earth!

Rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

***>