starting problem 1999 ram cummins diesel

I have noticed it getting harder to start my cummins if parked nose up overnight-and now I can't start it at all. Nose down (driveway is a little steep) no problem. Lift pump puts out over 15psi, I've cracked the banjo on the fuel filter to make sure I'm good there. I've also cracked the nuts open on the feed lines at the injectors and I don't seem to be getting anything there. My little fuel system relay is clicking but I don't know how to check the electronics on the vp44. I didn't used to have this issue with parking nose up. Any help would be much appreciated. 1999 ram 2500 4x4 - runs like a bat outa hell most of the time!

Reply to
Anonymous

I tend to think lift pump is going bad. It may make enough pressure when primed because it it works with a regulator that prevents excess pressure but itis have trouble priming on a uphill draw. Not much else it could be. That or a blockage in fuel line or filter restricting fuel flow.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I have noticed it getting harder to start my cummins if parked nose up

I'm going to take a wild shot here. Check your return fuel line.

Reply to
Roy

Got it back on level ground, cracked a couple injector connections, and cranked on it. Started up without too much more ado. I'm still a little perplexed as the lift pump just seems to crank out the juice and pressurizes right up to >15psi, but am thinking about an aftermarket pump mounted low on the frame back near the tank just to make sure.

I appreciate the responses!

Reply to
kennycz2002_dropnospam_

Got it back on level ground, cracked a couple injector connections, and cranked on it. Started up without too much more ado. I'm still a little perplexed as the lift pump just seems to crank out the juice and pressurizes right up to >15psi, but am thinking about an aftermarket pump mounted low on the frame back near the tank just to make sure.

I appreciate the responses!

Reply to
kennycz2002_dropnospam_

If you are getting 15lbs. out of the lift pump I doubt that it is the problem. What does it show with a load, and at idle?

Reply to
Roy

You know, you might check for suction leaks in fuel line too. I have a old jeep that has a leak in suction line (I plan to fix it when I restore it as I do not drive it) and it is VERY hard to start when it has been sitting for a while unless you add fuel to carb but once it primes up with fuel in pump circuit it runs fine and overcomes suction leak (it is not in the pump in my case)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

go to

for info

I have noticed it getting harder to start my cummins if parked nose up

Reply to
john108

My 97 had the same problem. It was the fuel shut off . It is a electric magnet on the pump, when the key is turned on it lifts the shut off lever up to open the fuel valve. When it happened to me I reached under the pump with the key on and pushed up on the leaver and it then moved on its own ,got in truck and turned key rest of the way, started right up every time. new shut off #300.00 have heard of people removing it and hooking a choke cable to it and ruining into cab to open and close valve.

Reply to
James Johns

Technology Data Resources? Don't think that will help much...

aliased as
may have a little more info.

:^)

Reply to