2006 Ram 3500 Cummins opinions

Ok, looks like I've got a leftover Ram 3500 SRW, quad cab, short bed, Laramie edition lined up at the dealer for 33K. It's really 23K plus my truck, but 10K is a trade I'm ok with.

So, any opinions? Considering it's now a last years model that's been on the lot for 6 months, I figured getting the thing at invoice, plus a good trade in on my 2000 Tacoma V6 prerunner was a decent deal. I was more interested in getting a 5.9 Cummins, however misguided that may be. There's currently a $3,500 rebate on the leftover 06's that ends tonight. I'm thinking they can't just do away with the rebates on the leftovers, but more than likely will increase them.

I've never bought a new US auto before, so the in's and out's of it all are a bit new to me.

Thanks for any input. I'm due to go in tonight and make the deal.

bb

Reply to
bb

don't sound bad for a Laramie

you cant go wrong with the 5.9 Cummins.

There's currently a $3,500 rebate on the leftover 06's that

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Well, too late for any second guessing, I bought the truck. We took it on one final long test ride and it's just as I remember, a damned fine driving truck. Good power, low noise, good visibility, easy handling. Although it's twice the size of my Tacoma, I feel at ease driving it in crowed traffic situations.

It's almost impossible for me to dig money out of my pocket. If I could have backed out, I would have. I could easily have parked two blocks away and called the dealer to pick put the truck. When it comes to spending money, my gf definably wears the pants in the family. She had the courage to say just do it.

So, I got back and told the salesman we'd take the deal. I got so worked up at the closing I thought I was having a heart attack. I left the guy a deposit check and told him I'd finish up the next day. He told me I could go ahead and take the truck, even though I hadn't done anything about financing, but I just wanted out of there. I'd bet the salesman and manager got a good snicker out of my panic.

Now that I'm home, and the decision is basically made, I feel better. I'll either finish having my heart attack tonight, or I'll buy the truck tomorrow.

Damn, I can't believe I'll have a Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins, brand spanking new, tomorrow. Most I've ever spent on a car was my last,

18,500 for my Toyota v6 prerunner. I drove it for almost seven years, didn't put a dime into it for 70K miles, not even tires, and got a respectable 10K + trade in. I can only hope I get as much for my money for the Dodge.

Over the next few years we're hoping to do some serious fifth wheel towing around the country and Canada. I'm looking forward to having the Cummins 5.9 as my partner.

Thanks to all on this group, and other internet sites, for all the information and feedback to make me comfortable enough to buy my first new America car.

bb

Reply to
bb

I'm from Los Angeles. Here I was able to get an '06 3500 q/c long bead slt offered at $31,000 with a fleet dealer rebate of $5000. If you folks have AAA or Costco memberships you can save, in my case up $3000 from retail.

This is my first diesel and I love it. Owning a diesel is a little different on maintenance, but the performance is well worth it.

You have to consider your needs with the truck before you make any type of purchase. As for me, towing my heavy fifth wheel need a serious upgrade from the gas guzzling gmc dually crewcab. So much more maintenace and less torque.

Reply to
Farmer John