starting problems '01 Ram 2500

I've been having adventures in starting with this truck and I was wondering if any fault code data is retrievable that would help in diagnostics. I don't want to take it to a shop just for them to be changing parts to find out what's wrong. Batteries are new. I thought maybe it was the ignition switch, but now I'm not too sure. Sometimes in starting, I just hear clicks a few times and then it starts. Many variations, but very sporadic. May not do it for a week or so. A couple times, I think it's towtruck time, ten minutes later it starts totally normal (WTF?).

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Begin with cleaning ALL battery cables and terminals, including the ground cables. Often this cures a sporadic starting problem.

New batteries cannot always bust thru a high resistance connection every time and it only takes one bad connection to cause trouble. ground cables,especially at the engine / frame ends, are the most often forgotten, missed or ignored.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

This one's easy, you need some new starter contacts. Many on the TDR swear by these:

BigIronRam

Take the cable off at the starter. The boot has a hole to let water run out. It gets plugged with crap and the water and salt start to eat it's way up the cable under the insulation. Take a good look. Don't ask how I know.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I read the faq's on LarryB's site, and it sounds right on the mark, so I ordered the contact kit. Last week I adjusted the 47E bands and changed the filter and fluid and it went very well. I haven't worked on vehicles for many years, but I'm still pretty good on the tool inventory, and with some good info, it's kind of fun. You guys know your stuff. Thanks, Bill

Reply to
bill allemann