Starting problems

I have an 86 Grand Cherokee. It's have strange starting problems. I turn the key and will just get a click,from the starter.But not tuning over. If i hold the key in the on position it will eventually crank and start. But not allways. Sometimes i need to turn the key on and off a few times till it finally starts. Does antone have any suggestions for me,it woukd be a great help.

Thanks in advance. Brian.

brian snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca

Reply to
B&K

You are describing a dirty connection. I would start by cleaning the battery cables on both ends.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I have an 86 Grand Cherokee. It's have strange starting problems. I
Reply to
Mike Romain

I have replaced the battery, the connections are clean. Not sure what else to do.

Reply to
B&K

I have replaced the battery. the connections are clean. Not sure what else to do.

Reply to
B&K

Are the connections clean at both ends? Battery + to starter, battery - to engine block?

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Can you describe your starting problem with a little more detail ? Does the engine turn over , does it not turn over, does it turn over slowly ..... ??? Any additional info would be helpful.

Reply to
Mike

does not turn over , just clicks

Reply to
B&K

Given that you have a new and **fully charged** battery (it is fully charged isn't it?), here are some tests you can do: Turn on the headlights, then flip the key to start. If the lights dim, you have a bad/low battery or bad cables. If the lights don't dim, your starter is bad or the cable to the starter is bad. Second test: hold the key to the 'start' position while someone else looks for hot connections on the various battery and ground cables. Be carefull! The connections can get quite hot after 30 seconds or so. Look for a little wisp of smoke, burnt smell, crackly noises, etc on the cables.

This vehicle is 11 years old, I'm betting on a bad cable or connection somewhere. The crimped fittings tend to corrodue inside the fitting. You have not only the battery clamp ends but the other ends that go to the engine block and the starter solenoid.

If I were try> I have an 86 Grand Cherokee. It's have strange starting problems. I

Reply to
RoyJ

Check the ground cables too..... all of them. Clean them till they are shiny with a wire brush, steel wool, or sandpaper and give them a quick coating of dielectric grease before reassembly to prevent further corrosion

Ground cables often 'rot' from the inside and 'look' to be in good condition, roll the mesh to see if it disintegrates.

On the other posts you were advised to clean both cable ends and you responded "I have replaced the battery. the connections are clean. "

I just want to double check.... you cleaned BOTH ends when you replaced the battery? ALL the ends on ALL the cables (some have more than 2 ends) and checked the cables themselves for damage and overheating (swollen or discolored insulation)

The factory cables are ..... minimum spec when new..... after a decade of use they often show excess resistance. If yours show any signs of overheating replace the cable (not just the end) with the heaviest gauge cable you can get.

You can also use a jumper cable to bypass and check for continuity of grounds.

We don't mean to be a pain... well... at least I don't.... but when Jeeps have vague or intermittent electrical problems it is commonly a ground or cable resistance problem at fault.

Good luck

Reply to
billy ray

You say the connections are clean but did you clean the connections at the block and starter ? If so it is likely the starter solenoid, which should be seperate from the starter.

Reply to
Mike

Thank you eneryone for your help. Problem fixed. I changed the battery cables. Starts like new. You were all a great help. THANKS AGAIN !

Reply to
B&K

Adding to that.

Buy a cheap voltmeter. Make sure your battery is fully charged.

Turn the key to start.

Measure from the negative post [not the cable, the post] to a clean spot of metal on the body and again on the engine. No more than 0.2 volts--and that is quite high.

Measure from the positive post to the input of the starter solenoid. Then again measure to the output, to the direct input of the starter [should be pretty obvious] and again no more than 0.2 volts.

The typical Sears heavy screwdriver can be used to short across the solenoid while the key is in start to see if there is a problem in that area.

RoyJ proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon