Stupid Ignition Switch Question

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi

Experiencing recent electrical problems. Truck sits for a day or two. Try to start and the battery is dead. (Fortunately, I have a jump pack in the toolbox. Once I jump, it runs fine.)

I've narrowed it down to the ignition switch, I think.

Diagram of switch positions:

AUX----OFF----ON----IGNITION

I've noticed in the last few days that the IGNITION KEY CAN BE REMOVED IN ANY OF THE POSITIONS, including IGNITION. This does not seem right. You should not be able to remove the key in any position except OFF.

Since I am NOT the only person who drives the truck, I suspect that the other drivers are turning the truck off, but putting the ignition switch in the AUX position and removing the key, leaving circuits burning (radio, lights, dashboard display, door locks, etc.) that drains the battery.

My question is, should you be able to remove the key in any other position except OFF?

If not, do I need a new ignition lock cylinder and a new set of keys? Or is the problem something more involved?

TIA.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

Frank, no, the key should not come out in any position but off. Something you might check though, is if the ignition will turn without the key now.

I can't answer about new lock n keys, might call a locksmith before the dealer.

Reply to
FMB

No, key should only come out when in OFF position. Also there is the unlock position which shuts off the engine but still leaves some things powered (this is unique to Dodge, IIRC) and that will discharge the battery (that's the position I bet the driver pulled the key out--only the odometer lights which is not much to show him that it is not in the OFF position.

BTW, the keyswitch positions are:

AUX - OFF - UNLOCK - IGNITION - START

all positions other than OFF will discharge the battery. Been there, done that.

Reply to
PeterD

The key tumbler (the thing the key goes into) is not difficult to replace on most vehicles. And not expensive. However a dealer is the best choice as they can match the existing key so you still have one key to both start and open the doors! BTW, if you have two keys, try both, if one works (won't come out except in OFF) have a couple of new keys made at the dealership (don't go to a key cutter as they'll cut the new key from your old defective key...)

Reply to
PeterD

Thanks for the info. I'll check with the dealer about new keys. I didn't even consider that a new cylinder and keys would not let me unlock the doors.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner