too much brake dust?

I've noticed an increasing problem with brake dust on my 2001 Dak. Even after having new front rotors fitted, the dust still builds up fast on the front wheels. Seems to be happening on the back tires too - had the truck in for a slight 'feel' problem when braking, they said the back brakes were dirty, cleaned them out, the slight shudder vanished - and came back after a couple of months.

Truck still has the original brake pads, but I didn't notice this problem until about a year ago. Seems to be getting worse, tho that could just be my perception.

Is this something I should look into, or do I just need to make sure I keep lots of wheel cleaner on hand?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Jodi:

The brake dust is probably normal. It accumulates pretty fast. The semi-metallic brake pads give off a black brake dust while the old asbestos pads gave off a white dust which wasn't as noticeable. A good coat of wax on the wheels makes 'em easier to rinse off. Most of the wheel cleaners are pretty harsh so I would just use your normal car wash water and elbow grease.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

I put ceramic brake pads on my 02 Dakota Quad Cab.

The brake dust is only about a 1/3 of what it use to be.

Reply to
Ed & Sherri

"" wrote: > I've noticed an increasing problem with brake dust on my 2001 > Dak. Even > after having new front rotors fitted, the dust still builds up > fast on > the front wheels. Seems to be happening on the back tires too > - had the > truck in for a slight 'feel' problem when braking, they said > the back > brakes were dirty, cleaned them out, the slight shudder > vanished - and > came back after a couple of months. > > Truck still has the original brake pads, but I didn't notice > this > problem until about a year ago. Seems to be getting worse, > tho that > could just be my perception. > > Is this something I should look into, or do I just need to > make sure I > keep lots of wheel cleaner on hand? > > jmc

Use Wagnor Thermo-Quiet brake pads.This will take care of your dust and any other annoying brake noise.They cost abit more than your average pads/shoes but worth it.Might want to have the rotors turned/resurfaced as well.

Reply to
Shakes73