Turning rotors and front pads

No problem. I guess I just get a little touchy with the "stealership" label. I'm not saying there aren't a bunch of dealers that don't deserve the title but there are honest ones out there too. My wife gets aggrevated at times when I go to the store with her and end up talking to customers while she gets the groceries. I've never had to dodge a can of corn yet.

I would just rather see my hard earned cash go

Same with building a house. I'd rather the guys hauling the 2x4's get the money than some suit sitting behind the desk. But if it wasn't for the owner that took the gamble on the business, the little guy may not have a job.

For example the 30K service on my 04 ram

I guess it depends on the part of the country you're in. Seems a little high for my area.

Denny

Thank god that the drivers

Reply to
Denny

I forgot to answer your question. Yes, it's high. A set of pads is approx $80 and two hours labor at the going rate. Our rate for brakes and other maint. type work is $52/hr. Don't forget to add on $10 for shop supplies and tax.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Seems high for my market too any I am one of the highest. Are they talking about resurfacing the rotors or replacing them. If it includes replacement, then it makes more sense.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Having to replace them after only 30K wouldn't say much about it being a quality product would it?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Seabrook, eh? I know it well. I have visited there many times when I worked at the nuclear plant years ago. Is Master McGrath's still in business?

I would suspect that your market, being in the NE and close to Boston is fairly pricey so that if the rpice quoted includes rotors, it is about right.

If my remembery is correct, the was/is a company across the border in Amebury, MA that I did some engineering work for also called Cargocaire Engineering.. are they still there.

Seabrook is a beautiful area, one day momma and I hope to take the RV up to the NE area for an extended trip.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Actually, it depends on how/where it is driven. I have seen the same vehicle driven for 80K miles with the OEM brakes and rotors before there is a need for replacement. Others have only gone 25K. Assuming the brakes and rotors are consistent from vehicle to vehicle, that leaves on one variable.... the driver! Don't forget the driver!

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

It would seem that DC is trying to improve things. Before I bought the SRT, I checked for recalls and took a look at what was out for TSB's. One caught my attention: #05-006-06. It say's if the rotors show premature grooving or scoring replace the rotors with slotted rotors. No turning or attempt to turn, just r&r them. Oddly enough they don't replace the pads, so it would seem to me that is this case they have determind that pads aren't the issue. Some cars have had this done beyond 12K miles. This TSB is SRT specific.

I thought it odd that nowhere in the owners manual does it talk about bedding the pads. I did bed mine and at 3K, no grooves. going to keep a eye out for it though.

Maybe I've been fortunate but the DC cars/trucks I've owned have had few problems, none that haven't been resolved. My dealers service department has been fantastic, they think outside the box and will try unorthodox stuff to resolve a problem. Like the vibration resolution in the 04 cummins. I'm surprised that isn't a tsb.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

The only problem with that theory is that after I replaced them (pads) with aftermarket at 26,000, I drove another 70,000 with no problem and while I admit that I tend to drive it more like a car than a truck, my driving style did not change after replacing the factory set and yet, 3 times the mileage. It seems that once again, Dodge sacrifices quality or endurance for a few extra dollars profit.

Reply to
TBone

They might go bad that fast but its really how you drive, and as for the dealership everyone of them will always ask for more. You could try and find a private shop ask what they will do it for, it should be less at a private shop. They might even put on the stuff you buy that way its even less, but thats just my 2 cents of it

"Hp" wrote: > Can anyone tell me what a fair amount would be to turn the > front rotors and > install new pads on the front of an 04 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 with > hemi? The > stealership wants $350.00 to do mine with 30,000 original > miles and original > pads on truck. Should they wear out this quick? It seems like > alot to me > but I'm not in the business. Thanks Howard.

Reply to
dodgerider