Verdict: Bad Wheel Bearings.

Suddenly, without warning, Mike Simmons exclaimed (5/21/2010 3:50 AM):

Thanks. They were convenient, and did a good job this time. I'd not have 'em do my brakes, but if I can get the little Japanese guy to do the tie rods, I will. He seems pretty competent, and was more than happy to answer my questions.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Yes.... I've been following the saga from Limeyland to Oz and back... stay tuned for next week's episode....

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

There's a cause to it too, bad karma cookies...

Reply to
PeterD

No, actually you didn't. The sealed "unit bearing" does run about that much... Rockauto.com has them for $220.

I'm not. A buddy at work brought his F-150 over a few months ago (against my better judgement, I allowed it in my shop... dummy!), and said he thought something was wrong with his left-front wheel. Supposedly, his "mechanic" looked at it, and told him it was his tires. We put the truck up on the lift, and I immediately pointed out to him how you could wiggle the tire back and forth about 2". "See, that's bad", I told him. Well, $320 in parts later (rotor was fused to the hub... made him buy two new front rotors as well) he was better.

So yeah... not much surprises me anymore on what people sometimes miss.

Soooo..... I miss anything exciting while I was gone? :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Much cheaper than the 2500's hub assembly! (at $350 each they are painful to replace...)

Chrysler's inability to lubricate anything when building these vehicles is a real sore point to me. Now my sway bar joints have broken, and again: total lack of proper lubrication and lack of any method to lubricate is the SOLE problem. Let's see: ball joints, hubs, axel U-joints, drive shaft U-joints, actually everythign that should have a grease fitting as failed at about 50K miles!

Reply to
PeterD

I don't baby my '03 2500 and have driven lots of dirt roads including the one across the Arctic Circle to Coldfoot and back, and that wasn't the worst. I have 190k miles on it now and I replaced my front U-Joints for the first time at about 180k. The Coldfoot trip was 5 years ago when I had about 50k on the clock. I had a rear driveshaft U-Joint go out earlier this year. In prep for another trip to AK, all U-Joints are now new. I haven't had issues with sway bar joints, wheel bearings, center support bearing or ball joints. I replaced the clutch after 187k miles.

I know there has been a lot of owners with HVAC door problems due to poor design. I replaced my recirc door once and have the upgraded parts to do it one day when I feel like pulling the dash again. I had one stick replaced under warrantee and the cracked alt bracket too. I've had issues with the passenger window being able to be controlled by the passenger occasionally.

Other than that, normal maintenance stuff; belt, fluids and filters. Oh, and rotating tires... when I haul the Fox a lot (>10k miles), the rear tires tend to wear more. I end up swapping front for rears once during the life of the tires and I get great even wear.

I don't quite understand why some trucks last 3-4 times longer than others. Is it the way the driver drives? I doubt it. Is it Salty Winters? I don't know the breakdown stats, so I don't know. Anybody stay in a Holiday Inn Express? Not me. You are not the only one who's joints last 50k or less. I don't know the answer... QC? Eng?

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Just Budd wandering in for a week and stirring shit up. Other than that, no.

Good to see you're still alive and kicking.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

If only we could answer these questions!

Put a 97 Toyota T-100 on the lift today: owner said "Strangs noises..."

Dang, had bunch of grease fittings on the drive train, all the U-joints, slip joings, everywhere. Amazing.

Now the problem...

REmember how Tyota is getting a reputation for rusting truck frames? Well thsi one has a body mount bracket that has completely broken off the frame, it is that bad.

But I did grease his chassies!

Reply to
PeterD

Good to see you too, Greg. How's your transmission? On it's 10th rebuild yet? :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have that, too... bad child lock-out switch. One of these days I'm just going to bypass it.

Ditto here... got 90K on my '03 (I don't drive it a lot anymore... daily driving duties have fallen to the '09 1500), and have only replaced the factory shocks at around 60K, stock tires at around 55K. No other suspension or diveline problems (though, I did recently have a tranny leak with my dipstick - don't think that counts).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I'm still on number 5. I have finished a new toy, a 6 axis cnc router. Now I am occupied learning G code.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Got any pictures?