what all gets heated.......

.....when my truck is plugged in? with winter moving in its starting to get cold in montana, and its time to start plugging my truck in. this also means some hunting trips in -20/-30 degree weather where ill need to plug the truck into the generator and im wondering what else ill need to wrap with additional heat sources. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

In those temps...I'd wrap my arse if I were out in it!!

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

All the stock plug does is heat water. With a gen I'd put in something to heat the oil in the pan and perhaps a blanket to toss over the engine.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

i usually start plugging my truck in anytime temps drop below freezing. one thing ive noticed is that no matter what the temp, if i crank the truck after being plugged in i dont get the white smoke that i get when i crank the truck in the cold without having been plugged in.

what would you recommend for heating the oil pan? what about the fuel tank?

thanks,

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

in those temps ill hunt from the dining room table on my camper through the window. :-)

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

You shouldn't need it if you run synthetic but if you want to use one I've used the magnetic heaters that just stick on the oil pan. They work great on farm equipment when I forget to plug them in...

what about the fuel tank?

I've never seen anything other than the fuel heaters warmed by coolant and those were only on the big trucks.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Reposted (below) from an email list I read.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd have to guess oil pan, oil, and engine block.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here in Anchorage, we get by with just the block heater. In Fairbanks, they use an oil pan heater and a blanket for the battery. You also should look into synthetic oil and make damn sure the coolant is up to snuff. In extreme cold (-30) most people don't shut vehicles off unless its plugged in, especially diesels.

Reply to
jbohren