1997 Barchetta - odd motor noise

Hi

I've just got myself a 1997 Barchetta (25k miles, apparently in very good nick!) which I am delighted with.

Over the last couple of days though I've noticed an odd electronic motor noise apparently coming from behind me which I'm sure wasn't there before. There are two parts to this.

When I start up the electronics (!) in the car, I hear a motor sound (almost as if an electric window or radio aerial were going up) coming from behind me. After about 3-4 seconds this completes and there is silence. If I press an electric window button during this time the noise reduces in frequency (i.e. sounds lower) which to my mind says it is something else electric making that noise. I don't know what it is, and I'd like to know, but as it just sounds like something priming itself / resetting ready for use then I'm just curious. (Ah, just had a thought - is that the seatbelt pre-tensioner?)

The other point though is a fairly continuous reasonably high pitched noise, not particularly loud but quite audible even when the radio is on. THis only seems to appear just after getting going with the motor running, but is present when stationary as well as moving. Again, depressing the electric window up button causes the note to drop slightly, so it does appear to be electric. And again the noise appears to be coming from behind me. It doesn't appear to be audible from outside of the cockpit, so my assumption is that it is something internal. THe noise is getting on my nerves a bit, and if it is a motor that is continually trying to "do" something I'm conscious that ignoring it may not be the best option. Is it likely to be some electronic lock on the hood cover? I've tried putting that up and really closing it firmly and that seemed to make no difference.

Any thoughts, either from Barchetta owners or just other fiat savvy individuals, greatly appreciated!!

Matt

============

2004 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 (current. Sorry, family man on a budget

- wife picked this one!)

1997 Barchetta (current) 1998 Marea 2.0 ELX (sold) 1989 Panda 1000 S (RIP)
Reply to
matthew.larkin

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com gebruikte het toetsenbord om te schrijven :

I would say that it is the fuelpump you hear, a lot of cars do that the first few seconds before you start the car. My Punto had it, and my VW golf cabriolet has it too.

Sorry, no ideas here.

Reply to
Draak