Attempted Break In Fiat Punto (Tonight)

Yeah, so some complete pleb has attempted to break into my car, it?s a Fiat Punto Mk2 2003 reg

http://130.88.200.97/~jim/mylock.JPG Luckily, they couldn?t gain access, and kept the damage to a minimum

-- just around the lock indentation on the metal and a scratch to the paintwork.

I really can?t understand it, my radio facia was off, it?s only worth £150 anyway, there were no valuables in sight, I?d just cleaned the car out at the weekend and there was CCTV in the carpark (only I?m told it doesn?t work).

I parked in a carpark right on the outer edge, and that must have been my mistake, easy access.

I phoned the old bill straight away, and they advised me to drive home, then I flagged down a police car and asked can they not take a look at it or get finger prints as it had only happened within the last hour and was told they basically weren?t bothered -- glad I pay my taxes -- spoke to the sergeant later on the telephone and was told that yes they should have taken a look, but since I had driven home and through a rain shower to boot there was probably nothing they could do.

Seeing as how my radio was incomplete, my friend seems to think they were trying to actually steal the car but I understand my car has an immobiliser as standard? is there any way I can confirm this? I?m going to try and have the lock replaced as it?s knackered now I hope they let me just replace the one.

Can anyone recommend me stickers, security devices, is there such a thing as an anti tamper alarm that?ll be able to pick up when someone?s messing with the locks? or can anyone recommend me a brand of security system?

I was going to buy those stickers from Halfords as a temporary measure, but I?m guessing many people know that they?re fakes if they?re from halfords, does anyone else do warning stickers which are of a less common design?

Advice much appreciated.

The Jim

Reply to
TheJim

It's an italian car. How about "Protected by the mafia"? :-)

Reply to
Dan

Even with alarm, immobiliser etc, I still use a crook-lock just to give them something else to think about. I feel naked if it isn't on the car :)

Reply to
Conrad Baker

Almost certainly has an immobiliser. Will be the Fiat Mark II system? (bum...can't remember the proper name) that does not have a Burgandy Master Key.

Your Blue keys have a transponder in them. You can confirm this by looking for a double concentric circle with a triangle pointing into the circles stamp on the key shank just below the blue fob end. If there is a numeral 2 next to the symbol then it is the Type 2 setup.

You can test the system as well. Wrap the end of the key completely in tin foil. When you insert the key in the ignition the fuel injector light will continue to flash and the engine will not start.

Finally, there is an override get you home system that allows one to key in the PIN overide code using the accelerator pedal. This will allow the engine to be started, but once stopped, even stalled the whole procedure has to be gone through again.

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////

hey at least it was worth stealing not like a Citroen

by the way Jim nice jvc head unit forsale on eBay!

Reply to
John

I see that as just another bonus now that I've traded in my Stilo. :-)

Reply to
Dan

Best security measure is to empty the glove box and then leave it open so thieves can clearly look inside your car and see you've got nothing to steal

A friend gave me this tip and it's a very good idea.

I also have a torch that fits inthe cig lighter and has a flashing red LED this give the impression of an alarm

Reply to
Dee