Substitute for 31x9.5R15

Hi all,

'been lurking around here for a few months, (just to make sure I wouldn't ask the stupid question everyone else asks !) and already got a lot of info.

I am looking to get new AT-style tires for my '03TJ. I do not want to put in a lift on it until the waranty is out, so I am limited to what can fit on it stock (more or less). I know that I could fit 31x10.5, but I do not want tires that wide. 31x9.5 would be perfect, but I did not find it in any AT tire. After a little looking, I realized that

235/85R16 would be a good substitute. They work out to about 31.5x9.5. I would install a 1" body lift, and these should fit just fine. These tires have an E load rating or 3000# per tire, while my TJ weights about 4000#. I am wondering if there is any downside to using tires with that much extra load capacity ? Any other thing I should be considering ?

Thank yall.

Alan W. '03 TJ Few tuffy storage boxes.

Reply to
Alan White

Your TJ can take 31x10.50s without any lift. There is a small chance that they will rub during full lock turns, like a Uturn, but this is easily corrected by removing the steering stop bolts and installing a washer or two then putting them back in.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Alan,

Just wondering why you prefer a 9.5" wide tire over a 10.5" wide tire?

Brand Howard

Brand Howard

See the load ratings for all the BFG AT sizes here:

mabar

I have never seen the load rating brought up before. Is this something that really needs to be worried about? I mean my tires will hold more than my jeep weighs, is there any harm in than? Not trying to start a war, just interested. Has anyone else considered the load rating when purchasing an off-road tire for a jeep before?

Brand Howard

Brand Howard

Reply to
DeepDiver

I'm curious as to your opinion for an alternative to the BFG 33x9.5x15 M/T. Unfortunately they are no longer available. One tire mechanic told me it was because they keep 'flying apart'

The smallest now available is the 33x10.5 M/T and it has a 10.5" wide tread as you mentioned.

I ended up getting a set of Goodyear 32x11.5 MTRs. Nice tires. I'd recommend them but then I park my CJ-7 in the winter.

JJ

Reply to
Jumpin' Jiminy