BRAVA 1.4 Engine Problems, please help if possible?

Hi, I have a 1996 1.4 12v Brava which was running fine til just recently when it started to misfire, cut out and be hard to start and the engine lurches heavily with a really loud annoying squeak squeak squeak. I bought and fitted new leads and plugs when i noticed that one was sending a spark to to the head instead of the plug 8O , the problem changed a bit to just a really load annoying squeak squeak squeak like a loose belt, checked the belts and the cam belt tensioner to no avail they all seem fine. Then for no apparent reason one morning it just started back with the original symptoms? :?. The car does all this whether warm or cold and damp is not a factor as it is stored every night in a dry garage. Any ideas anyone? (REALLY annoyed as not long before I had new cam and followers and spray bar fitted parts £200) Anyway this car only cost £280 but having just spent more than that on it dunno whether i should spend any more. By the way i dont have a place to nip down to for anything as I live on an island between scotland and norway so please try not to suggest the local fiat dealer (3 ferries and 20 hours to nearest english speaking one) Thanks and please advise Chris

PS Just noticed that the stepper motor looks decidedly unsteppy or motory as it does nothing!

Reply to
mellers

Dunno. Try posting to uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Reply to
Another Dave

I'd certainly check the cam lobes, not sure how difficult it is to get the cover off, but did have a Fiat that got through camshafts every couple of months.

Same cam lobe each time. Found no gap on that lobe with a new camshaft.

Traced the history of the engine, at sometime in its life the head had been off, and the cowboys had mixed up the followers and shims. Had it apart, got it all set up with the correct shims and followers, no more trouble. Wish people would be more methodical and not just put things down on the bench/floor as they dismantle.

Rather easier is to take the plugs out, put it in gear, and push it back and forth, see if you still get the noise, if so it might be easier to locate the source.

Reply to
ato_zee

"" wrote: > On 20-Jul-2005, mellers wrote: > > > Any ideas anyone? (REALLY annoyed > > as not long before I had new cam and followers and spray bar > fitted > > parts £200) > > I'd certainly check the cam lobes, not sure how difficult it > is > to get the cover off, but did have a Fiat that got through > camshafts every couple of months. > > Same cam lobe each time. Found no gap on that lobe with a > new camshaft. > > Traced the history of > the engine, at sometime in its life the head had been off, > and the cowboys had mixed up the followers and shims. > Had it apart, got it all set up with the correct shims and > followers, no more trouble. Wish people would be more > methodical and not just put things down on the bench/floor > as they dismantle. > > Rather easier is to take the plugs out, put it in gear, and > push > it back and forth, see if you still get the noise, if so it > might be easier to locate the source.

hi again, Thanks for the advice, have tried just about evrything, the waterpump has given up the ghost too now so I have replaced the car with a nice easy to fathom vauxhall. Strip down and rebuildable with about 3 spanners and a couple of screwdrivers, and the fiat might get the waterpump replaced if i can ever find a fiat parts supplier on the internet? Thanks anyway for the replies. Mellers

Reply to
mellers