Bravo clutch? problems

Hi All,

I have a '95 (N) Bravo 1.4 SX which has developed a problem. I noticed over the last few weeks that the car was 'juddering' when changing gear - not every time but quite often. Anyway, I got up yesterday morning and and went to put the car in reverse to pull out and there was an almighty screech. I turned the engine off straight away. I then found that I can put the car 'in gear' when the engine isn't running but otherwise it just won't go. I'm afraid I know nothing about cars but don't want to take it into a garage without having some idea of what might be up. I've been told that it might be the clutch but I'm hoping somebody here can help me further. Anybody like to offer their help?

Thanks in advance,

Sue

Reply to
Napoleon Lunch

The juddering has possibly caused clutch thrust bearing failure, the screech being the knackered bearing. From the age you quote the clutch has probably been replaced before, the juddering being caused by a cheap aftermarket trade clutch plate, and they probably only replaced the plate, and not the bearing at the same time. Clutches are expensive because of the dismantling and time involved. Dealerships are the most expensive, a well recommended local garage is worth getting a quote from. Start asking friends if they can recommend a garage, then phone around for quotes, including main dealers, this will give you a feel for the cost. "How much for a clutch replacement, N reg Bravo, 1.4SX? Don't forget the "Does that include VAT?" After that it's up to you.

Reply to
ato_zee

Thanks for the reply. Did as you (and a friend) suggested and got it in a local garage. They agreed with what you said the problem was. Hopefully, pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Sue

Reply to
Napoleon Lunch

Pleased to be of assistance. My experience with a batch of (non-Fiat) aftermarket plates was that a resin had been used in the construction, maybe the friction material, or possibly a bonding compound. It may not have been cured properly and left a dark brown viscous and tacky deposit on both the flywheel and driven plate. Anyway as the clutch was let in the goo grabbed with a bang and a shudder, the symptoms you described. Which is why I suggested a previous clutch job, it's always a bit difficult to diagnose without knowing the full history. I also notice some clutches have springs to ease the takeup, other aftermarket ones don't always have them.

Reply to
ato_zee