Fiat Punto 1.2 cylinder head problem

My engine broke so I have put in another. I was told it was a good one but after starting it up today something is not right :? It is rattling at the top end and it gets worse as the engine advances, I fear it is the head gasket 8O and I have found that number 2 and 3 spark plugs are black :? missfiring but the spark is there I have checked the leads :( I have also tried re-timing the engine and but with no change and I understand the timing is pretty straight forward on this car. Can anyone help me out.

Reply to
Darbiz

Darbiz drukte met precisie uit :

Maybe the ehh.. (hmm... what would be the name in english...) flaps? need ajustment?, the things in the head i mean.

Reply to
Draak

Compression testers are not expensive, maybe you could borrow one. This will give some info. Badly fouled plugs from not firing may be bridged with carbon deposits and not fire, even if you fix the first problem. So keep them clean and check that the gap isn't fouled. As the engine runs, what colour is the exhaust? Rattle at the top of the engine may be cam followers, or something more serious, such as an engine damaged by cam belt failure. If the latter, then some valves are probably stuck or damaged. I think by flaps you mean cam followers?

Reply to
ato_zee