Stuck Regulator?

Finishing the last leg of an 1800+ mile trip in our '73 Super, the generator warning light began acting up. I'm suspecting a faulty regulator but if anyone else has any suggestions they'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Symptoms: The car runs fine - voltmeter across battery shows ~14 volts so I feel confident everything is good with the car running. I drove about 700 miles this way, only stopping for gas. I didn't want to leave the car "off" for long because I wasn't sure what was going on.

200 or so miles were at night with the lights on, so I know the battery was getting a charge.

Key on, Engine Running: Everything seems good, both idiot lights off

Key on, Engine Off: Oil light on, Generator light off (not good)

Key off: Generator light on, Current draw at battery noted when disconnecting (relatively large spark) - this worries me the most.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
sped372

If you're sure this car has Generator, not Alternator, then the regulator is bad (sticking).

Gen info on my web site:

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The 73 Super does use an alternator with an external regulator. I had a similar roblem at one time.

S> > Finishing the last leg of an 1800+ mile trip in our '73 Super, the

Reply to
Funkie

It is a generator, not an alternator. Thanks for the response. Just out of curiosity, what exactly is happening? Is it trying to send the current back through the wrong way, or just keeping the circuit open when it should be shut off? It's not that important, just interesting.

Thanks again!

Reply to
sped372

The reason I asked is that late in the '73 model year, they started to switch over to alternators.

Anyway, the Gen regulator has one relay whose purpose in life is to connect the generator output to the battery ONLY when the generator voltage is higher than normal battery voltage.

So, when the engine dies or is switched off, generator voltage begins to fall and when it reaches the level set by this relay it "cuts out" the connection from generator to battery. Cleverly, they named it the "cutout" relay :-)

If the relay contacts stick, whopper Amps flow *backward* from the battery into the generator armature windings and you usually have a small fire.

Reply to
Speedy Jim