punto 55 sub frame mountings

I need to change the rear subframe front mountings as they have failed an MOT, now I want to be sure I am changing the right bits so if anyone could have a quick look at

and let me know if I am rightin thinking it is the bolt and washer type fitting in the upper leftof the image or not.Also the new bushes are a "modification" and are like a cup effect orlarge bottle top with a whole in the middle, which way do they fit on?

Thanks in advance Phill

Reply to
Phill

I did this job about 2 weeks ago. The front bushes on the rear subframe had excessive play resulting in a knock when going over rough ground.

I have checked the parts CD and the original bushes, as they go through the subfame, do not appear to be a separate part. I obtained the cups as described and they seem to surround the old bush as a way to reinforce it and to remove the play. I suspect that FIAT introduced this part so that Puntos would not be failed at MOT and require a £150 subframe and about £250 labour. Who would buy a second hand Punto If that was the case.

The bush bolt is removed, the cup placed over the original bush so that the rubber upper edges press against the metal subframe. Replace the bold and tighten - takes about 2 minutes. As you tighten the bolt, you will see the rubber walls compress and bulge as they press against the subframe. They will remove about 90% of the knocks so do not expect a perfect job. My MOT is due shortly so I wonder if it will pass.

Reply to
Paul