Banging noise from rear of Punto 60S

Hi,

I currently have a punto 60s with lound banging noises from the rear. The noises seem to happen at any speed and particularly under braking or when the hand brake is pulled on. I have had the exhaust replaced however it dosent seem to be banging anywhere. I have also replaced both radius arms at the rear. I am not sure where to go next, brakes, axle bushes or brakes? Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks,

Lee

Reply to
lee.crispin

I assume it is a Mk 1 punto?

If it is then the radius arms would be the most obvious cause, but as you have replaced these, then it is unlikely. Nevertheless, have another look. Two good ways to check are 1) drive behind the car when it is on the road - both rear wheels should sit at 90 degrees to the road surface. If they lean in, then recheck the radius arm again. 2) put a wheel nut lever on one wheel nut and lean on it as if to take the wheel off - do not loosen the nut. Any play will show up as wheel movement as you lean on the lever.

Next, check the antiroll bar and its supports. Use a lever to stress the bushes.

Check the four subframe mountings. Fiat do a bush reinforcement as a modification that fits over the original bush - takes 5 minutes to install. As far as I know, the original bushes are an integral part of the subframe and cannot be replaced - well done FIAT some rediculous design!

Next, check the brakes. It is possible that the shoes have worked loose, but this would not make a long banging. Check anyway.

Have you checked the spare wheel and tool holder? Have you checked the springs for broken coils and are the shock absorbers still working. Do the bounce test - you should feel immediate resistance to forced bouncing.

Apart from that, there is not much else at the back of a punto.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Paul