Rear Subframe front mountings

I've got some rot in the whole panel there underneath the rear seat so obviously it's going to be an MOT failure. Anyone have any experience changing the whole panel rather than just the subframe mounting points. Obviously the whole panel will have to be cut out and a new one welded in but how do I make sure the panel is welded in straight as this will affect the geometry of the rear subframe and ultimately the rear wheels ? Also the back mountings have gone aswell but these won't be such a problem as they can be done with the subframe in situ

Any help appreciated

Cheers Jim

Reply to
Jim

Hi Jim, I did this job some years ago, and asked the same questions as you , We started with the rear sub frame mounts , welded the new parts in to position, bolted everything back together, This then became the datum line (so to speak) we then removed the sub frame ,chopped the rear panel out, tack welded the new panel in to position, then offered the S/frame back up, checked the position of the rear panel and most importantly ,, the rear most (new mountings)... When everything lined up correctly, we made some more tack welds, then removed the S/Frame and finished welding the panel in, knowing that the sub frame will go back exactly in the original position, measuring the wheelbase diagonally helps with alignment also, HTH Fitzy

Reply to
Peter

Nice one Fitzy, Almost the same way I had thought but I was thinking of doing it the otherway around (Front mounting panel first the rear mounts) Now you've said to do it the other way makes more sense as the new rear mounts won't be as worn so there should be less margin for error. It looks like I'll have to pop the car round the Father inlaw's for a few weeks as the missus has just shown me the MOT fail sheet ... this lot may take some time ! and it's a tad too much to fix out in the road and he said I can rob his garage anytime !

Offside rear subframe mounting Offside rear floor subframe mounting Nearside rear outer sill subframe mounting Offside rear battery tray subframe mounting

Just glad I have stacks of welding gear :-, think I'd better get a heftier MIG from BOC too !! and with that lot it won't matter a **(k if I shear off the subframe bolts :-) Thanks again Jim

Reply to
Jim

Keep us informed of your progress Jim, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Will do ! It'll take a few weeks before I can make a start and get the panels etc and then I'll try and remember to take some pics as I work. Hopefully I'll manage to grab a rear quarter panel too as the last one I put on seems to be a mess (understatement) Well it looks as if I'll be biking all through the winter again this year !

Reply to
Jim