Punto Clutch Problems

Hi,

I have a P reg petrol 1.1L Punto and I'm beginning to have problems with the clutch. The car has got about 45,000 miles on the clock and it is used for short trips with lots of lights and so on.

When the clutch is depressed for the last quarter of the travel to the floor it begins to 'creak' and becomes difficult (but not impossible) to depress. This problem has started to occur over the past few days.

I have a couple of questions:

1) I guess from the manuals that the car almost certainly has a hydraulic clutch. How can I be sure?

2) If it is hydraulic where is the fluid reservoir?

3) What is the most likely cause of the problem and what are the possible solutions or work arounds? I rather not spend a lot of money on the car at this point and if possible I'd like to do the job myself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Emmett Power

Reply to
Emmett Power

"Congratulations" My brother just had the same problem with his year 2000 Fiat Punto 80 ELX It actually was the pedals wich made a quirky noise ! BUT the shop said there was something with the clutch too so they replaced the entire clutzh and still hadnt fixed the sound coming from the pedals !!!!!!

After 5 times they finally mounted the pedal rach away and grease the bushings with special grease for plastic, !!! no ordinary "fix it all" spray on plastic !

But after 2 days it was there again ! Well Well, today he's off to look at a second hand Coupe (no Turbo ) = mechanics last longer !

He Will trade the Punto after 9 years of differrent FIAT cars

30 years of FIATs in the family,and me,,, FIATs since 1984

He's Punto has been in the shop for 20 times for differrent things Headlamps blown instrumentation fails all went black, new dashboard electrics instrumentation fails, tank meter... new probe Quirky pedal sounds Some engine control managment failure

All in all SAD. My Marea 2000 1.6ELX Has not had any problems. the backlights collected waterdrops on the inside after 1 year but were changed at no charge, exhaustsystem almost FELL OFF.. YES The last fastening point were totally corroded But were welded at no charge at the very SAME garage nu fuzz

STRANGE !!!

"Emmett Power" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
kemp.hakan

If you have a hydraulic clutch, you will see the slave cylinder on top of the cast casing, roughly under the battery. I think the fluid reservoir is shared with the brake fluid - I've never found a separate one!!

I have a 1998 Punto 60SX and had a similar problem earlier this year at about 50k miles.

It was diagnosed as a failing clutch release bearing - definately a garage job as far as I am concerned. I had the clutch replaced at the same time. I understand Puntos are prone to this. I greased the clutch release lever (?) where it passes into the casing, which eased it for a while but did not cure it.

Sorry not to be able to offer any good news :-(

Regards,

Rob Strang

Reply to
Rob Strang

Water gets on to the clutch actuating spindle, it being in the worst possible place for this (in the winter it is salt spray) then it works its way down by capillary action, shaft rusts solid. Wipers can suffer in the same way, and some alternator locations ensure the fan sucks spray into the front bearing.

For the clutch a dr>If you have a hydraulic clutch, you will see the slave cylinder on top of

Reply to
ato_zee