Re: Fiat rear window wiper problem

Hi, I have a 1999 Fiat Barva and have the same problem but it is intermittent, some times it works some times not...

I have been advised it could be one of free things...

1) Fuse not fully seated in the fusebox or dusty...

2) Problem with the with the hatchback door not connecting proberly when closed (I beleave this is my problem)

3) Motor burn out or cables damaged (this was the advise from Fiat on my service, when it was not working)

Hope you find what the problem is..

Regards

Colin

Reply to
cwink

You need to find which connection is which, at the body connector which feeds the tailgate connector. Simple screwdriver/12V lamp and croc. clip ( most auto stores ) will do. Haynes or similar manual, with wiring diagram, also useful for wire colours.

Motor should have a plus and minus feed, plus for self parking and a switched feed.

Try energising the tailgate side, see if motor runs. If it's reliable the the problem is likely to be fuse or tailgate connector.

If not, it may be the motor, which when unreliable has a set of three phosphor bronze springs that make contact to tracks on the rotating gear that drives the shaft. It's the self parking mechanism so that the motor keeps running until a finger reaches a blank spot on the track switching itself off. In theory it only needs one finger to do this, like the early self parkers, I think the other two do the intermittent wipe.

-SLIGHT- retensioning helps. Fixed mine. Don't bend the fingers too much, they are dished for better contact, and if pressing on the track too hard, will soon develop a hole.

Also shaft that drives blade is ordinary (not stainless) steel. If water get in past the O-ring, it rusts. Motor can't turn, nasty smell, motor usually survives, and can be resuscitated. Clean shaft with fine wet/dry until shiny again, reassemble with silicone grease, redistribute existing grase in gearbox, renew O-ring,put it all back together.

And of course the dreaded carbon brushes.

Of course if you are not mechanical, and it is the motor, the local breakers yard might be a good bet.

Reply to
ato_zee

If you have a rubber gaiter at the top/top side of the tailgate between the car body and tail gait the gently squeeze it. If you can feel wires as opposed to a single rear window washer water feed tube, then it is possible that the wires that run through this bend/flex/stress point have started to fracture. This is not an uncommon problem, epscially in older cars.

If this is the problem then you can repair them yourself although this is a bit of a time consuming and tricky procedure. Basically you have to replace the wires that go through the rubber boot. This means getting access to both ends, cutting and inserting new pieces of wire.

The IMPORTANT trick is to ensure you NEVER let go of any ends. One of the better ways to ensure this is to remove the tailgait inner plastic cover and unplug the wires from the motor so that you have the ability to pull slack through.

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////