"01 formula sub-frame connectors???

just bought an "01 formula with t-tops. my nephew has basically the same car and recommended i install sub-frame connectors. unfortunately, he's not mechanically inclined so he couldn't explain what they are or what they do. i'm wondering if they actually serve a useful purpose. can anybody offers some details and/or opinions.

TIA, bob

Reply to
Bob G

Subframe connectors are used just as they are named; they connect the sub-frames of your car. The unibody design of your car is two halves of a car connected together and supported from folding by the roof of your car. The subframe connectors connect the two frames together allowing the whole frame to be one rigid frame rather than two half frames flexing. Reducing flex will allow the suspension of your car to work better giving you better cornering and even in straight acceleration. A side benefit is that rattles and squeaks should be reduced.

You should be able to find subframe connectors at:

or

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

: > TIA, : > bob : >

: >

: >

: : Subframe connectors are used just as they are named; they connect the : sub-frames of your car. The unibody design of your car is two halves of a : car connected together and supported from folding by the roof of your car. : The subframe connectors connect the two frames together allowing the whole : frame to be one rigid frame rather than two half frames flexing. Reducing : flex will allow the suspension of your car to work better giving you better : cornering and even in straight acceleration. A side benefit is that rattles : and squeaks should be reduced. : : You should be able to find subframe connectors at: : :

or :
: : -Bruce

Lots of other places too.

SLP makes a bolt on set of SFC, but I've been disuaded from using the bolt on variety. Which makes sense I guess, so you're not ripping up your sub frame. Besides, if you're going to put them on, you're probably not going to be unbolting them any time soon. I just don't have an arch welder so can't do my own SFC work. Figured bolt on would be the way to go. But oh well.

GLK9MM

thanks for the answers guys, that's just the kind of info i was looking for.

bob

Reply to
Bob G

Actually Sub Frame Connectors do not have to be Arc welded. Mig/Flux Core or Tig will do a pretty good job.

A common Myth is that bolt on connectors can not be welded in. You can bolt them on, then find a competent welder. Some people prefer to do this to fit exhaust systems in before making the connector part of the car's chassis.

When it comes to Welds and Welding never let a bad welder or a novice do it. Bad welds will crack or not fuse properly. If you never have had a weld fail at the worst moment you just will not appreciate what I'm saying.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig