XC70 water in sub-frame?

We have been having some wild weather this weekend. When I got in the car this morning the back passenger carpet was soaked. When driving the car a few feet then braking I could hear liquid sloshing from the back of the car all the way forward. It sounds like water got into the body of the car on the passenger side. We drove it for a short while and the radio started to go a little funky.. So we have now parked the car up and are starting to try and figure out what is going on.

Has anybody heard of a problem like this before? Does anybody know if there is a cavity that runs the length the car that can fill up with water? Any other ideas..

The windows were not left open.

Reply to
pat.ostman

Cars are built with many drain holes. If these get plugged up, the water can build up where you never new there was water. The most common place is in the doors. There is a box beam under the doors that may be what is you problem. The solution is to jack the car up if possible and inspect all of the drain holes at the lowest point in the doors and under the frame. A toothpick or other sharp object will usually open them back up. There may have been some road paving covered them up. Or aftermarket undercoating will destroy a car. It blocks up these holes and the car rusts from the inside out. The weather stripping around the doors must also be inspected for leakage.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Ok. I found 3 drain holes at the front of the Volvo under the passenger seat. Removed the rubber plugs and drained about a gallon of clear water. But for the rear passenger side I only found 1 drain hole. And that was clean. But I can still hear water under the rear passenger section. So there must still be water stuck in there. I looked in the Volvo book for locations of other rear drains but they are not detailed in the owners guide.

Does anybody know where I can find a drain layout for a Volvo XC V70

2001?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Pat

It sounds like the water you drained came from the AC. There are AC drains that sometimes plug up. This usually results in water on passenger side.

Are you sure the sound in the back is not gasoline sloshing around in the gas tank?

At the rear of the rear door opening are 3 plastic plugs.

Root around in the rear wheel wells and storage compartments in the back for water caught inside the car or around the spare tire.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Steve

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look and see what I can find towards the back. I did look at the spare and the area around there and is completely dry.

Reply to
Pat

I found giving the car a really good soak with soapy detergent around suspect seals then putting the heater blower on full shows up all poor seals quickly with huge bubbles .I once owned a Chrysler Valiant so seals were there for the looks as the doors cracked open at high speed .ARRRRRRH the good old days no thanks Volvo does it right then and now .

Reply to
John Robertson