Vectra gearbox out and sub-frame removal ??

Can someone please tell me if it is totally necessary to remove the front sub frame in order to get the gearbox out of a P reg Petrol Vectra ??

If it is, do you have to remove the exhaust and steering rack, or can they be left attached ??

Any advice would be very greatfully received.

Many thanks,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Whitmore

you need the exhaust(s) off, the rack stays in place, tie up the radiator, you need an engine support bar (vital)

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hi Mr Cheerfull,

Are you saying I do have to drop the sub-frame ?, also if the rack stays in place, do I have to disconnect the power steering pipes, or is there enough slack to allow the rack to drop with the sub-frame ?

Also where is the best place to split the exhaust ?, is it just the front pipe ?

Thanks,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Rack stays on subframe. It is much easier with the subframe completely off with the power steering disconnected, but I think you can lower the gearbox side enough to get the box out without disconnecting the pipes, I wouldn't bother , the extra bit of work makes it a lot easier. The bottom ball joints have to come off. The last one I did was a v6 and I removed the exhaust in one bit IIRC, that was the easy bit!!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful