ATF in oil

I trust my mechanic 100%, never got a bad advice, but he is not a young guy anymore (been a mechanic for 40 years) and I think he is loosing it! When I came to see him recently his suggestion to quieten noisy lifters in my car was to mix a quart of ATF with oil during my next oil change! It took a lot of "Googling" to find someone else doing the same. My car is not an F-body (it's an Olds with 3.1L) so perhaps I'm targeting a wrong group, though I have a vast interest in TAs. Has anybody ever heard of ATF fixing such problems? By adding ATF I know I will thin out my oil, but is it going to help? If my mechanic isn't completely gone mad, how long should I keep tranny fluid mixed with my oil? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Gif J. Peg

I suppose the ATF in the oil could help dissolve the varnish residue that builds on lifters. But it certainly isn't a motor oil and to be safe, I would buy something off the shelf that is made for the task. Marvel Mystery Oil is one such product that claims to improve just about everything.

People want to believe an additive will repair their engines. I've always been suspicious of mixing Marvel Mystery oil with motor oil and gasoline. The O2 sensors in a car can be ruined by oil passing through the exhaust but there are folks who swear that a $3 bottle MMO is just short of miraculous.

Regards

Reply to
Messenger

This is an old timey thing that I have seen a lot over the period from the early 70's to the early 90's. I think the lifter stuff would work better. I would be leery about leaving it in my oil for very long regardless of the stuff I added, lifter stuff or ATF. I would try Mobil

1 or any other synthetic first anyway. I have seen amazing amounts of crud come out with the oil after switching to M1.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

There used to be a Funny Car sponsored my MMO, and they used to put a bottle in the fuel to lube the fuel pump(s). It was like 10X worse than tear gas when they fired it up. The crowd watching them start it up to warm it would back off instantly. I've been around those cars for over

32 years and never, ever have I smelled anything that came close to that car's exhaust. It was funny to see the looks on people's faces when they got a whiff of it..

BDK

Reply to
BDK

I have to admit that I've bought two bottles of it myself. I didn't notice any difference but the reason I ended up with the first bottle was a fellow with ford diesel pickup swore it tuned his engine up. The diesel really made an odor with the stuff but it wasn't especially noticeable with my car. After reading the leading post, I began wondering if the major component in MMO wasn't actually ATF. ;)

Regards

Reply to
Messenger

Its legit...its an older way of getting some slight varnish off and out of the engine. IF its a varnish issue, and not an actual mechanical issue it normally works. On older non cat engines, pouring some down the intake while running at about 3500 RPM will bust off carbon on the intake valves and pistons heads...looks like a shuttle launch out the pipe, but it works.

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

Back before cat converters we used to pour a half-quart into the crankcase, then trickle some ATF down into the carb as the engine ran at high idle to do that, and to clear out carbon deposits in the cylinder. I can't recommend that for newer cars cause you'll FUBAR your oxy sensor, cat, and god knows what else. Putting it in the crankcase would thin out your oil and possibly open up oil ports and free up the lifters. If you do it watch the temp gauge like a hawk and change the oil and filter immediately after doing it.

Reply to
FBR