Stumped by Stupid Brake Hose Retainer Clip

Hi,

I am taking everyone's advice, and am trying to replace my front brake hoses. Not ready to cave in and go to a mechanic. Not yet ! I replaced the 2 front calipers no problem. Have done lots of mech work on my cars before, but these brake hose clips have me stumped and clueless.

I am trying to remove the driver's side brake hose, to replace it. I have been staring at the retainer clips for a while, sprayed them with wd 40 and liquid wrench, pried at them with a screwdriver, pulled at them with a vice grip, and compressed the ends with a pliers.

So far I've been able to get one of them to move about an eigth of an inch out, but it doesn't want to come out any more.

The ends up the clip turn up like the tips of skis, and hold the clip in place.

What is my problem, besides being unmechanical ? My Chilton's just says "remove retainer clip".

What is the trick here ? I haven't used much force yet, since I don't want to bend the clips.

The clip that is NOT next to the pipe is the one I've been able to move about an eigth of an inch.

I got both new calipers in fairly easily. Don't want to stop now.

Also, how do I get the clips back in ?

I know brakes are very important, and I want to do it right. If it looks too confusing, don't worry, I will definitely run off to a mechanic, and have him do it.

But I think there's probably an "obvious and straightforward" way to get these brake clips out right ? So what is it ?

Thanks, Relentless

Reply to
Lecher9000

I assume you are talking about the ones that hold the hose to the frame and are shaped like a square "C' with a small 90 degree bend on one end. If so they are stamped spring steel and can be very stubborn to remove. They will take some force to remove. You might try clamping on it with vise grips and tapping the vise grips with a hammer. You can also use a big screw driver or pry bar in the right leverage position to pry them off.

HTH and good luck,

Brian

Reply to
Brian Wilkinson

Should come off with a vise-grip. Its just rusted on.

Reply to
Dennis Smith