Thermostat replacement 1995 3.4L

I need to change the thermostat on my 1995 Firebird w/3.4L. What do I do first?

Reply to
Johnny

turn off the car and drain the coolant

--

S.S.I.N.

3.4L ?? , in a Firebird?, yer kidding.... (isn't that like "illegal" or something ?)

First thing *I'd* do is take that sumbith to a dealer and trade it in. (hehe)

Well, how do you know you need to change the thermostat? did it overheat? (when they seriously overheat, yeah, it can ruin the thermostat and stick it closed). Should be an easy enough fix - drain the collant, get at the "water outlet" (where big radiator hose connects to the engine), and take the two bolts off holding the mater outlet to the engine, take the gasket off, and take out the thermo, pay attention which side of the gasket the Thermostat is, and just pop in the new one, and new gasket, smear on some red, or blue RTV silicon, and re-assmeble, and re-water the radiator, start it up (and drive to the dealer to trade it in), and go clean up. Oh yeah, make SURE to dump out that old radiator fluid down the drain and hose out that cat litter pan that you drained it in REAL good - the glycol in the Anti-freeze will attract cats, and if they drink/lick that stuff, it will kill them!.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

You crack me up sometimes dude.

GLK9MM

I fail to see the problem with your last statement.

GLK9MM

That ain't even cool dude...

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Awww....

Get a dog.

GLK9MM

"GLK9MM"

glycol will kill dogs too... a little something for that noisy dog a few yards over.

--

S.S.I.N.

"GLK9MM"

he asked for the "first thing" so I gave him step one AND 2 thought I was being extra nice for him.

--

S.S.I.N.

I know. That's what cracks me up.

GLK9MM

Strangely enough, it will kill just 'bout any organic based life. However, I can keep my dog from lapping up a bunch of discarded coolant whereas cats just piss me off and I really don't care if they suck it through a straw.

Ooh...I'm so cruel. (And I hate cats.)

GLK9MM

OK, how do I take the air-intake(?) off? It's the cast AL part on top of the engine. It appears to have some O2 sensors in it.

Thanks, Johnny

Reply to
Johnny

One thing that takes me aback?

Why mess with people when they are here for help?

When other's or yourself needs help, do most of the regulars mess with you? I think it's rather immoral to step on someone when they're down, I try to do atleast one, if not more random act of kindness a day.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Spot Drinks Anti-Freeze. Spot Also Drinks Kerosen (fuel oil), and enough beer to kill most other people. Spot is human (An old Biker). When he see's people being mean to cats, he go's off like a rabbid 2 legged Pitt Bull.

Spot lives at my shop part time, as well as uses it. We do have a good number of wild cats around there, and he is very protective of them. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

That's OK, I think I can take it. Actually I have replaced thermostats before on the irrigation engines and tractors on the farm. It's all this computer shit on the cars that I would like to be careful with.

How do you take that thing off the top of the engine that is blocking the thermostat?

Also, there some list of "Pimp My Ride...Myself" sites for the 4th gen fbodys?

Many thanks.

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny

LOL

A decent human being!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Am I supposed to give a shit?

Yup...I still hate cats and you whiners still have no sense of humor. Can't hack it...cry on someone else's shoulder.

GLK9MM

Don't worry Jhonny. From one farm boy to another, I think it's pretty obvious that I haven't directed any of my comments at you.

(Obvious at least to those capable of reading the english language.)

GLK9MM

Yeah, you don't have to "like" cats, but its wise to at least be humane to them - doing otherwise is generally bad Karma, and I don't really believe in that stuff, but after you see enough old people (family and relatives) come unglued about fluffy's, and if you see how they actually hold old peoples lives together (some only have cats to live for) you will know what I mean. (your life, and outlook towards cats changes after 40)

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Actually I thought you might find that a bit funny. That someone with no regaurd for their own life, or the lifes of humans would care about the lifes of some animals.

If you think Im a whiner, I got some nuts you can swing from.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig