VoTech auto shop good for auto repair ?

I am thinking of dropping off my 88 GTA 5.7 TPI at the local Vocational Tech school for electrical work. Anyone have experiences with VoTechs repairing cars ? There is no charge for labor, just parts. I am fairly paranoid about it, but I am more paranoid about taking it to a regular mechanic. $$$$

Thanks,

Lecher9000

I don't have any experience with a vocational school, I've heard lots of stories of people that were in shop classes that worked on cars. I would be more prone to give them mechanical problems.. not electrical problems.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Lecher9000 wrote:

As a Wyoming Tech student in Laramie, I can tell you that regardless of the school's reputation, there are plenty of absolute blockheads among the student ranks. We even had one kid that thought an ignition system only functioned during cranking. (In the words of Dave Barry, I swear I am not making this up.) Our instructors were good about watching over the classes, but there is only so much three guys can do to watch 50 students. (WyoTech no longer accpets public work due to liability concerns, I believe). All the school cars in the Engine Management shops (which includes auto electricity) had incredible amounts of butt connectors, loose unidentified wires and incompetent routing. Several vehicles did not run due to fried PCMs from creative jumpering and the like. Furthermore, if you read the fine print, many (if not all) VoTechs will state that the customer is liable for the cost of any additional parts damaged by student errors. PCM costs may be getting more reasonable on older vehicles, but still ain't cheap. In short, I do not mean to ridicule Wyoming Tech. It is an excellent (and in my opinion, the finest) instituion, but, like all VoTechs, is nonetheless a training facility and thus many considerable mistakes are made by those students completely unfamiliar with automotive mechanics, particularly in the area of electricity. I would not have my personal vehicles worked on electrically by a VoTech facility.

Reply to
Chevy Munky

"Lecher9000" > I am thinking of dropping off my 88 GTA 5.7 TPI at the local Vocational Tech

don't let them touch your electrical !!! ball joints or tie rods fine but nothing you wouldn't let your kid try to figure out.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

Thanks, guys, for the replies. I am, for now, not bringing it to anyone, I hope, since I have been emboldened somewhat from the discovery of a chafed wire in a loom near the fuse box. HOPEFULLY, if I wrap this wire up with tape, or replace it, the car will be back to normal. Wishfiul thinking, perhaps.

But maybe, by spending hour after hour checking connections, I can fix it....

Thanks for the opinions on VoTechs.

GTA88

Reply to
Lecher9000