Auto glass repair shop / Glass repair kit

I got a windshield crack / star, in size of a smallest coin. After reading here on google I decided to get it professionally repaired instead of doing it myself.

I paid $45 at a local professional auto glass repair shop. It took them couple of minutes to do the job. All the legs of the star were filled with glue. The center of the stare has a rough surface so the repair is easily noticeable. This is my disappointment number one. They did not use any UV lamp.

This morning, I noticed that the star is growing. Last night was warm without any large changes in temperature. This is a disappointment number two.

Replacement of the windshield is $350. One repair is $45. So after about 8 repairs you paid of one windshield. Next time I buy do it yourself glass repair kit, which is only $7. For $14 you can get a kit for multiple repairs.

The only warranty I received with the repair is that if the crack progresses and I decide to replace a windshield at their facility they give me $45 discount. Thanks a lot!

Reply to
Peter

Approximately 11/4/03 06:32, Peter uttered for posterity:

So, like whats your insurance deductible? In some states, a crack bigger than mumble mumble can qualify you for a replacement. In all states, an accidental brick thru the windshield will do so. Minus the deductible of course.

Sounds like the crack may be in a highly stressed area, where the glues just don't cut it.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I have $1000 deductible. I just learned that this deductible applies to glass too. :( (My insurance premium for 99 Accord in MO is well below $300 for 6 months though. In FL my premium was almost $100 more.)

Reply to
Peter

The last time I had a glass problem, the windshield was covered by comprehensive coverage. My insurance company paid to have the ding fixed, they wouldn't cover a windshield replacement for a ding unless I tried the repair first. You might want to check with your agent again, just in case.

Good Luck!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton