window motor

The driver's side electric window on my 2000 Trans Am seems to be periodically nonfunctional. That is, sometimes it rolls up/down just fine, and other times it does not. Is this a symptom of the electric motor dying, or perhaps of something else?

Thanks!

Reply to
Joe Granto

Sounds like a bad conection. Or a broken wire in the loom. Or maybee the Brushes in the motor. When its not working, try opening the door at the same time as depressing the switch. It might give you a sign. If it works when you move the door, id say its a dodgy wire, or connector. If not then Id look at the motor. Stick a multimeter on the motor connectors to fine out more info.

Reply to
WombatPPC

It's a common fault. There is a motor "protector" inside that heats up under load I think to stop the motor crushing anybody stupid enough to stick their head through the window whilst it is going up.

Some people have Increased the size of cable inside the motor.

Mine went a few years back and the replacement only lasted a couple of months before it started again. Both sides use the same motor and the drivers side IIRC was full of water because the electrical connector faces upwards on that side. I WD40'd it and taped it up & it's been fine ever since.

Get youself a new motor for around 40 dollars & just replace it. It takes a good hour. See Shoebox site on how to install one .

Mitch terminal snipped-for-privacy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk

Reply to
terminal_crazy

If the thermistor is going, the most common symptom is the window will go up, or down, a very short distance like half an inch and stop. After a minute or so (while the thermistor cools down) it will go another half an inch. Yours sound more like the switch. I had a bad switch and swapped it out with the passenger side. Worked fine but, of course, the problem moved to that side. At least it isolated the problem.

If you do replace the motor, Autoz>>> The driver's side electric window on my 2000 Trans Am seems to be

~~~~~~ Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.

Reply to
Overlord

Hey Joe, I agree, you should probably just try changing out the window motor. I found a rather inexpensive window motor for you costing 26 bucks! That is a relatively cheap and inexpensive repair to your problem. Go here and check out the motors for your car:

kojakstoy26