02 explorer Audiophile six CD errors

The display shows "CD ERROR" and will not eject/ load / or play. There are 4 CD's in the unit and nothing works. All other functions are OK. This is a 2002 explorer. Any ideas? TIA

Reply to
prophetsdad

My wife tried to play a CD we burned on our computer and the player "ate" it. It took several tries hitting the eject button but it finally spit it out. Upon further review the owners manual says not to play home-made CDs as some of the blank media are slightly thinner (don't know if that's true or not} but it certainly doesn't like home cooking!

Reply to
greg_perry

Reply to
Big Shoe

Same here, I've had no problem with home made CDR/W's in my '98 factory changer and/or in-dash player. No labels should be common sense. The OP may want to refer to his '02 Ford Audio Guide for troubleshooting the 'CD ERROR' message. My '98 Audio Guide has a list of error messages, and their meanings, for this purpose, but not specifically said message.

Good luck,

Steven

Big Shoe wrote:

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

I have same issue 2002 XLT. Problems predominates with "Recorded Book" CD rental. They put a protective layer of something on to prevent scratching. I wrote to Ford Tech people but they were not much help other than to indicate it was a known issue as I recall.. I have had an intermittent problem along the same lines with regular music CDs that I suspect may be related to higher temps in the unit. Whenever I have this problem I have to hit "eject" and as soon as the door slot opens slide I slide a jack knife blade in the unit along the top of the CD and apply downward pressure with the flat of the blade while also pulling out. Works every time (after a few tries sometime) but a major pain in the butt. Seems that there is too much friction with the top of the CD on whatever it rubs against.

Reply to
NCV-VT

Is the the load/eject slot door closed or open? I had this same issue a few weeks ago. My door happened to be open. I looked inside and could see a CD partially loaded. I used a small screwdriver to lightly push the CD. The player proceeded to load the CD properly and all was well. No problems since. That problem occured with a "real" music CD BTW.

Reply to
HerkyJerky