Factory oil filters redux

Last week I posted how difficult it is to remove FACTORY installed oil filters. Most post repliers, except for Jim Warman, didn't seem to understand my post and tried to help me install a new filter (oil gasket, hand tighten, etc.).

Well today I had to remove another FACTORY installed oil filter on my wife's Explorer. What we are dealing with here is a 2005 4.6 Explorer. The filter is a Ford FL 820S. I have a socket that I got from AutoZone that fits the FL 820S perfectly...but it doesn't fit the factory filter...it slips while turning, and this is the 4th time I have experienced this problem.

I finally got the filter off since I have quite a bit of experience with these factory installed filters...but not without some blood being shed.

My conclusion is that the factory filters ARE NOT FL 820S filters. They are a RCH smaller in diameter of the FL 820S, have NO markings as to what they really are, and to paraphrase Jim Warman...they were put on by Popeye.

Anyhow, I now have both factory filters replaced (I have 2 Explorers) and subsequent removals will be a snap since I can remove the filters that I install and the removal socket now fits.

I am curious if any other folks had this experience.

Sorry for the rant.

Al in Poughkeepsie, NY

Reply to
Alan E. Seelbach

I have had a similar experience on my wife's Toyota Sienna. The factory filter was a different size than the dealer-sold replacement.

Reply to
Ed Mann

Alan

Not too clear on the problem here (unless it's a clearance problem).

Reply to
Vito

Vito, The problem is not a clearance problem...I can get the socket on the filter with a 3/8 drive and a 6" extension. The problem is that it slips on the FACTORY installed oil filter. My conclusion is that the filter that comes from the factory is NOT a FL-820S...it's a tad smaller in diameter. Once that piece of crap is removed and replaced with a FL-820S everything is fine, and removing it will now be a snap cause I've got the right filter and the right removal tool.

Ed, the Toyota guy, who posted just before you seems to have had the same experience that I've had (4 times now).

I'm probably making too much of this now, but getting that factory filter off can be some pain in the ass.

Thank you both for your responses.

Al in Poughkeepsie, NY

Reply to
Alan E. Seelbach

I had a similar experience replacing the OE filter on my Father's Freestyle. It was labeled with a part number and not much else (well it did have the EU Wheelie Bin with an X logo - which means don't throw in the trash). I assume the Ford Powertain divison bids out the filters just like the Parts and Service division does. Maybe different companies win the bids. Or maybe filters for new engines have different requirements. Or, as the funky logo suggests, maybe the powertrain division has worldwide requirements that are different than US parts and service. I suspect that they tighten the filter by machine, so it might be that the factory filters have to have a special case configuration so that they fit the equipment in the engine plants.

As for why they are so tight - better to make it hard to remove one, than lose an engine becasue one came loose. In theory a dealer should check vehicles for oil leaks, etc. before delivery. However, somethimes vehicles are driven a long ways before they are actually "delivered" (like when one dealer swaps cars with another, or sends a vehicle out to have special equipment added).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to
Spud Unger

I finally got tired of those stupid filter wrenches, and busted knuckles.

My tried and true method, if your careful. Put an oil pan underneath it, hammer a big screwdriver THROUGH the filter, and twist.

This has never failed. You have to be careful not to tear the filter too much after you puncture it. Usually it will come off before it starts to tear.

I hear people cringing right now, and I feel a flame coming, but you know what? I'm not frustrated taking off filters anymore, and it works for me and I'm very careful.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've done that but only when I wound up with it crushing when I tried the normal compression band type wrench on it. I would never do that as a first resort since if you still have a problem getting it off after punching a hole in it you couldn't even drive it to a repair shop to let them take a whack at it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I've heard this advice and followed it once circa 1984. Tore the filter, which never moved, and had the car towed to a mechanic.

A strap wrench workd better than anything else for me.

Reply to
Ed Mann