02 explorer rear end and trans questions.

Got a 02 with the usual howling rear end noise. Did Ford ever come up with a fix for it or did they just give up? Its out of warranty so I guess its not a freebie? Also no problems yet with the trans but I hear it sucks too. No way for the average person to change the fluid? Is this correct?

Reply to
Rob

Answering my own question here. I went to the Ford dealer and for the rear end they will not replace the rear end but rebuild yours at your expense ($1200 or so) Sometimes they have to do them 2 or 3 times to make them quiet! As to the transmission the dealer and the owners manual are at odds. Owners manual says do nothing to the trans for

100,000? miles, dealer says fluid needs to be changed at the severe service levels mentioned in the manual... When the trans goes, cost is all on the owner. I see a TSB or two to fix some small trans probs so I have to research them.
Reply to
Rob

Reply to
DANIEL M via CarKB.com

I had same or similar problem / issue with '02 at around 53,000 miles. I learned this is a common problem and dealer had some unpublished program with Ford. I had to pay about $105; Ford paid the rest per "SSM 18221" on he work order. I am told the problem relates to the aluminum differential housing and different heat expansion rates. Seal separated, fluid leaked, rear end got somewhat fried. The replacements are supposedly heat treated in advance.

Reply to
NCV-VT

Reply to
Big Shoe