92 explorer wont shift out of first

My 1992 explorer doesnt seem to shift out of first gear. Its an automatic, and I thought I heard somewhere that the shifting is controlled by a vacuum hose? Any info will be appreciated, I hope Im not screwed. Thanks

Reply to
ubobkw

"ubobkw" wrote: > My 1992 explorer doesnt seem to shift out of first gear. Its > an automatic, > and I thought I heard somewhere that the shifting is > controlled by a > vacuum hose? Any info will be appreciated, I hope Im not > screwed. Thanks

:( The 1st to 2nd shift in the 92 Explorer is controlled by a mechanical govnoer located in the tail shaft of the transmission. This is easily affected by old dirty transmission fluid. The first thing to try is have a complete fluid change. These cost more than the standard drop the pan and replace the filter jobs as that only replaces about

25% of the fluid. The newer power flush jobs will do about 80 to 90% of the fluid. If your current fluid is just old and a little dirty this may work. If not you will need to drop the transfer case to reach the governor, if the rest of the transmission is fine it is some what easy to get to and clean.
Reply to
rhagfo