1994 EXP 55/60Mph shaking/vibrations

Hi Guys, I have read on some forum and on some websites about the shaking/vibrations. I also asked owner in town and lot of people don't have this. I have 4 Michelin Cross Terrain as per vehicule recommandations for size and pressure, which helped but I still have it. Sometimes it shakes, sometime it doesn't. After lot of reading, people didn't solved the problem after changing lot of part. My questions is for those who solved it, where should I start to solve this? Should I bring it to Ford dealership? The dealership here is talking about front wheel bearing but I doubt. I love the truck but I'm little pissed not going over 55Mph for long trip. Any suggestions will be more than apreciate. Thanks

Marc

Reply to
The Punisher

Have you tried rotating the tires to see if it makes any difference? What shape are the radius arm bushings in? Wheel bearings reasonably well adjusted? Overall condition of the front suspension? You said the air pressure was per spec but what spec is that? Whatever it is, try a higher or lower pressure and see if it makes any difference. Also what about wheel alignment? The one thing that has made the biggest different on my 92 has been tires. But since you already have Michelins, unless you just happened to get a bad one or two of them it seems unlikely it's your tires. Another thing to look at is shocks. There really is no good answer - when this problem surfaced years ago Ford tried to find that "good answer" and never could and finally gave up.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Yeah, Ford gave up and then the warranties on the 91-94 Explorers expired.

My 94 did it from day one. After many Ford under-warranty attempted fixes (different motor mounts, a 5th shock absorber, and a weird counterweight thing on the axle) I found Michelin LTX tires, new radius arm bushings, good shocks and careful wheel balancing and alignment finally cured it. Also I agree with AZGuy, try different tire pressures a few pounds over or under recommended pressures and all his other suggestions.

Good luck. It can be eliminated/minimized. Keep at it.

Reply to
Bob

Had anyone tried balancing a truing all 4 tires? It really does make a wonderful difference in the way a vehicle rides and drives, as well as reducing wear and fuel consumption.

Reply to
John Riggs