O2 Sensor Replacement 96 V8 AWD

Hello everyone,

I am getting a check engine light on my 1996 Explorer V8. It has 168,000 miles on it, so I feel sure it is time to change the O2 sensors. The codes are saying the converter efficiency is low (P0420 if I remember correctly). I have changed one sensor, but the other three connectors are extremely hard to get to. Is there a preferred method to disconnect these? I hear there is an access door under the console, but mine is an Eddie Bauer with rear air and message center, and it looks like a lot of work to remove the console. I have purchased Ford OEM parts from the Ford dealer, hoping the harnesses are the correct length.

With all of these miles, this is the first time I have had trouble. It has been a very good vehicle!

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff